Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Spider in My Curtain


I'm not a big fan of bugs, flies, bees, cockroaches.  And of course, spiders. 

Since living here in Africa, I can't tell you how many crawly and flying things I have squashed. Alot of them seem to be hybrids or some weird combo of two things. Flies here for example have bee-like qualities. And most of the insects are much bigger And they land on your face or lip or go right in your eye. WHAT?

My first real encounter with what I thought was abnormal sized "bugs" was when I lived in Haiti. The classic "banana spiders" of that part of the world- would make it hard to sleep many nights. 


That's one of the reasons why I opted for rooftop sleeping- the breeze would blow most bugs off and there were only low swooping bats to try to ignore.

I have a classic video I haven't been able to find of a mission trip team I was with in the Dominican Republic. Every night the six ladies on our team asked the three guys on our team to "get" as many of the banana spiders off the walls as possible. It was spider hunting and they literally killed 8-10 HUGE banana spiders every night.

The funny thing was, banana spiders aren't actually dangerous, they are just huge. They usually eat mosquitoes. So these multi-legged creatures were more of our friends- they were just very hard to share a room with because of their size.

Here in Ethiopia, about a month ago- I noticed what looked like big spider legs hanging over the top of my curtain. After closer examination- my fears were confirmed. It was a spider, not banana spider size- but big enough to make me nervous. I tried to ignore it for a long time, but one day it moved and then I saw it in the corner of my room...way too close to me...and I decided to take action.

I went for hairspray. Funny weapon of choice. But I figured I could freeze it. Or paralyze it. Someone suggested me adding a little fire to that hairspray...and I actually considered it...but I figured- I'd probably burn him AND ME out of my room. So...I stuck with just the hairspray. But the spider seemed undaunted. He continued to live. 

Later the same week, I went for bathroom aerosol spray....figuring that spraying it with strong lavender smelling spray- would "get it." I sprayed probably half a can on it and it's web. Figuring the next day I'd find it belly up...NOPE. It lived on. CRAZY. 

So....to my surprise what got it...was something I didn't expect. I had found a lovely blueberry muffin spelling candle in a local shop...which was shocking. I bought it, lit it and put it in my room. Not for the spider, but for me. And it had only been lit a little while when I noticed that spider dragging it's frozen back legs across my floor toward my candle. Well, I bet you can guess what happened next. I went for my flip flop and whacked it...screamed...then cheered. Then threw the spider and my flip flop away in victory. The battle was won!!! :-)


I share this story because it's funny....but also because God reminded me of some things through the whole experience about fighting battles, etc. Here is what I learned- was reminded of:

1. If You're Fighting a Battle, Make Sure It's One You Should be Fighting
Sometimes we fight against people or situations that God might have put there to help us. Sometimes we fight each other- when we really are allies. Sometimes we pick fights we shouldn't or get involved where we shouldn't. That spider in my curtain might have been my friend. Should I have wasted my time and attention on it? It grew bigger in my mind the more I paid attention to it. Isn't it that what often happens with problems we face? If you put the problem in front of your face instead of God- the problem looks huge. But if we're looking at God more than the problem- the problem stays small in compassion to the bigness and greatness and power of God! When I finally did squash that spider...it was a bit embarrassing how small it was. 

Deuteronomy 20:2-4
Today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them. For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory. 
 
2. If You're Fighting a Battle You Should Be Fighting- Rely on God's Weapons and Strategy- Not Your Own
God strategically has equipped us with His Spirit. And with weapons we can fight with. When I was "fighting" that spider- my weapons were weak, my strategy weak. I love reading about how David battled in the Bible. He always consulted God...do I advance or not, how do I do this? God would tell him, fight or not fight. Stand and watch me fight- or go this way and win. We need to do the same.

Exodus 14:14
The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still. 
 
Isaiah 54:17
no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me,” declares the LORD 
 
2 Corinthians 10:4
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds 
 
Ephesians 6:10-18
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist,with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people

3. Know Your "Enemy" and that You're In Enemy Territory
Satan likes to try to paralyze you, free you with fear or doubt or disappointment. He twists things or tries to blind you to truth- to get you where he can whack you. Don't let him. 

1 Peter 5:8
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith...

John 8:44
...he is a liar and the father of lies...

4. Watch out for Temptation
Like my blueberry muffin scented candle...the temptation of money, success, love, etc...can cause us to come out of safety....

Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 
 
1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 
 
James 1:14-15
...each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

5. Know Greater Is He in You...Than Anything Else
Don't let a "spider in your curtain" make you afraid. Make sure the battle you're in is one God told you to be in...and if so....take courage. He will equip you and strategic place you for His intended purpose. You can fight the good fight...and win!

1 John 4:4
because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 
 
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race

ONWARD...
 
PRAISES
-We have finished teaching our semester, huge praise for that!
-My sister had a successful sports camp! 

PRAYER REQUESTS
-Two weeks of final exams begins today, please pray for endurance and strength for our students and staff, we wrap up here at the end of August
-Several mission teams are still traveling, getting ready to travel- pray for safety
-For my good friend and prayer partner- Mary- in Louisville, KY- for a successful surgery and good recovery
-For my family- for continued good health
-For several good brothers and sisters in Christ- who are waiting for doors to open, that God will bless these humble servants

THANK YOU FOR PRAYING!!!

On In Trust with You of our Great God-
Holly

2 comments:

  1. Holy, your blog of this is really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great story Holly, with many hidden truths! Thank you so much for sharing! I am glad that you got it! But a great word came from your experience! Love you and keep sending those gold nuggets!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete