Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Moving Haystacks

The other day I saw a sight that I've become familiar with but one that always makes me chuckle. It's what looks like haystacks moving by themselves down the street. But at closer look you can see donkeys underneath carrying the huge haystacks. They're moving at such a quick pace- it's almost comical. I swear one winked at me the other day and smiled- sensing I found humor in it all.


The roads here are not easy to walk down. And now with rainy season kicking in, it's chilly, windy, and torrential rain can soak you to your core and make you lose your balance. There are all kinds of things flowing over the roads. There are uneven paths and unseen holes that can be treacherous. No wonder cattle sometimes just stand in the middle of road- looking lost. Maybe they know that's the safest place to stand. And if you have a load on your back that is heavy- you're eventually going to slip.


Lately in my teaching here, the way has seemed slippery and the load I'm carrying way too big. Trying to teach and grade- is so much work. Many students also seem to have caught spring fever or summer break fever (though it's winter here- rainy season). That makes it hard. Then the topics I've been teaching I honestly can't remember ever learning the rules for. What in the world is a participle? What is a modal verb? What is the present perfect tense? Why do you say "a European" instead of "an European?" I have no clue. 

I've told God in recent days- the load feels too heavy. And you know what I heard him say? Holly- English is secondary to testimony. He directed me to these verses:

Psalm 145: 3-12
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom.
One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts. They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty—They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds
. All your works praise you, LORD; your faithful people extol you. They tell of the glory of your kingdom and speak of your might, so that all people may know of your mighty acts and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.

So, Holly, tell this next generation about my glory. You may not remember the mechanics of English- but I've been teaching you for years the mechanics of ME. Through years of roads traveled- I have taught you ME, I have shown you ME. Tell those stories. English is your platform- but it's not your message. It's not what will be remembered about you. So in obedience- that very day- I initiated an "open mic" time in my class- time set aside in each class for open discussion- shared stories, open- ended questions. I've shared some of my favorite "God moving in my life stories" so far. Tears have stung my eyes as I talked and remembered. Students clapped and applauded the power, the humor, and the details that God hit in crazy ways. Through the week- the huge load of English books and papers that I have been carrying around- has become less heavy...more like a light stack of hay. Praise God for a light and easy load!  As we walk and talk and live where God has placed us, may we share Him and testify.


Why does God have you where you are for this season? How does the load you're carrying feel?
If your way feels slippery or your load heavy- maybe God wants to remind you as well that it's Him you're there to represent. And the load can be light, the burden easy. 

Matthew 11:29-30
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
 
But what's the key?

You might say- I'm jobless, homeless, hopeless. I'm lonely. I'm poor. I'm rich, but poor.

I'm discouraged, insecure. I don't know what is next. 

Whatever season or situation- God is bigger. And He's sovereign. He hasn't promised an easy road. But He has promised He will go with you. You can trust that if you're passing through it, you can make it and you can trust Him in it. He can lighten your load and give you the joy and the perspective you need to keeping moving on. 

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified..., for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you...

I think of the disciples. They weren't experts in theology or math or law. Most days they didn't understand anything that was happening. They were simple fishermen. But the world took notice when they began to testify. They told about who they knew and what they had seen. Their passion was backed with power that couldn't be denied. 
 
Acts 4:13

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. 
 
The One who strategically places us in the first world rush or the third world madness and every place in between- can train your hands for battle and give you victory. He can enable you to stand on the heights. He can open doors and shut doors. He can make your legs steady and your voice and witness firm. Your light can shine. In weakness, He's strong. He can give you peace, security, joy, confidence- when the odds are stacked against you. He can help you see what others can't, that His hand is at work and victory is actually yours.
2 Kings 6:15-17
When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Psalm 18: 32-34
It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
 
Psalm 18:36
You provide a broad path for my feet, so that my ankles do not give way. 
 
What makes the road slippery, the load too heavy?

For me I think it's looking too much at the load and not at the One who can lighten the load. Or trying to figure it out on my own or go it on my own. All that leads to stress, worry, fear. We have an enemy who likes to attack ones that have fallen and are by themselves. We must stick together, pray together, and keep our eyes focused on our Great God.

These verses have continued to challenge and encourage me:

Psalm 48:14
For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end...
 
Psalm 16:11
You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Matthew 6:25-33
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well....

Matthew 17:20
... if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you 
 
2 Corinthian 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 
 
Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.


This month of July, as many celebrate freedom...others still sit in chains and darkness waiting to be free.  May God give us courage, perspective, and endurance to be where He's placed us and represent Him well.

If your load is heavy, or your way slippery or unclear, remember He promises a light load and will help you. Call on others to help you pray. And continue to trust our Great God. He's got you! And God can take your pain and stress and change it into a light load and a glowing testimony that you can share with others!  

Onward with you in trust...
Prayer Requests
-Pray for our six weeks remaining of this semester, that God will give endurance- especially with the rainy season kicking in
-Pray for the new "open mic" time.
-Pray for wisdom in building relationships
-Pray for good brothers and sisters in Christ globally- who are seeking God's next best step for them, that God will open up the doors for them- this is still a request
-Pray for my Dad's back and neck, that there will be complete healing, also for my family overall, that God will keep us healthy
-Pray for my sister-Noel- who will be helping with a sports camp in Libus (Czech Republic) next week- July 9-13, please pray for good weather and for new contacts in the community- also for the team coming from PA coming to help; also Noel and her Czech co-worker Petra have their English Family Camp from July 15-21 with a team coming from CA, pray that goes great as well.
-Pray for those experiencing extreme heat and storms in the USA- may God protect
-Pray for short-term teams launching globally and those serving in various communities around the world- that God's purpose and kingdom will advance
-Pray for a light load and great joy!

THANK YOU for praying with me and being with me on the journey here in Ethiopia! Also- I'm so grateful that many of your testimonies have inspired me when my load has gotten heavy or the way slippery!  Each of you are a blessing!

Happy 4th of July and summer time and school break time for most. May God bless you and keep you and your families.

Blessings and Prayer from Ethiopia- Holly


1 comment:

  1. I loved your blog! The haystacks so much represents our loads that we try so hard to carry by ourselves! A great reminder that we don't have to! He wants to carry them for us! I love the part about our testimony is what show more than our work! We must live out our lives with our testimony of how he is with us on every move! So much easier when we can cast it upon him! We wants us too!! All the verses spoke to me! You are a anointed writer Holly! Thank you and I love you!
    Momma

    ReplyDelete