Thursday, July 12, 2012

KOJO- "False Banana"

One very interesting kind of food to try here in Ethiopia is called KOJO (pronounced Qo-cho). It's usually served at cultural restaurants and it looks like the bark of a tree. You peel off the outer layer and then put meat (kitfo) on it...which I'm told brings out the meat's flavor.

KOJO with KITFO 
Most westerners I know who have tried it have first said it smells like feet. Uhhhh- that's enough to keep me away. :-) When I did a little more research...here is what I found...

Kojo’ is a food typical of the south (where Injera/ Teff is hard to get) of Ethiopia made from the ‘False Banana.’ The False banana tree is just what the name describes. It looks like a banana tree only it never produces fruit. 

"False Banana Trees"
The outer layer of the tree is chopped away and the inner part is mashed. The locals mash the inner part with their bare feet. They bury the mash in the false banana leaves underground for a few years while it ferments. 

A lady making KOJO
Once the mash has fermented it is unburied and by this time it has grub larva within the middle (the locals say if there are no larva in the mash it has not fermented enough.) Again the mash is pounded by bare feet and again it is buried for some time. Finally they unearth the mixture, pound it one last time, and cook it into a flat gray chewy slightly sour mass of what is called ‘Kojo.’
 
So, if that research is true..... with all the feet references; the fermenting factor, and the larva addition makes me pretty sure I'll not try KOJO any time soon. :-)
But since living here in Ethiopia, every time someone orders "kojo"- it always gets me thinking about it being called "false banana". It appears it's something it's not. It's a fake.

I never want to be labeled as "fake." In a world overall that advertises survival of the fittest- it's very easy to become "kojo" (false/fake) and not realize it. It happened to the super religious in Jesus' day. The Pharisees and Sadducees were KOJO. They had a false sincerity and a false humility that was repulsive to Jesus. He had harsh words for them...

Matthew 23:25-28
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.  “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like white-washed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.


Wow. I also can't stand false sincerity and false humility. I don't think anybody can.
Thinking back over my life so far, God has had me "do" many different things and "live" in many different places. And I think there's a fine line you have to walk and watch in being obedient. When you go outside of your comfort zone and God blesses you in that- it can be easy to lose your humility. Instead of walking in God's confidence and in humility, some of your own pride or cockiness can rise up and when that happens, you can be stinky and people can smell that arrogance, that false humility, from a mile away. Ugh.

Thankfully, God has a way of humbling people back- though painful. Paul ran the risk of getting over confident- because his ministry was backed with incredible impact. So, a weakness of some kind was there that God wouldn't relieve. Paul ended up realizing- he needed it, even though he didn't like it.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I remember the times I've started to lean into being KOJO (false/fake) and how God thankfully called my game through the hard words of others and got me back in line. During one of my first extended times in Haiti an example comes to mind. I had been in Haiti several months and was beginning to adjust to the heat, sickness and inconsistencies. I had learned to master the plastic on my roof bed- so I wouldn't get soaked during rain storms. I was making it- not only surviving- but was starting to actually enjoy it and thrive. I had hit a groove. And some pride crept in. One day our mission's generator broke down- which meant- no water, no power. It was a MAJOR problem. I remembering strolling over, maybe even striding over like a proud peacock, to where many of our Haitian workers were trying to find a solution. In my mind, I'm pretty sure I thought: AMATEURS. :-) I said, MOVE ASIDE, I've got this. I had everyone leave the generator room and I went to get my Bible. I think all the Haitian workers at this point were chuckling thinking- what does this sun-burnt blanc in her faded skirt and braided hair think she knows that we don't? :-) I came back and told them- this is no problem for God. I had recently read about how Jericho was marched around seven times and the walls fell. Surely this was God preparing me for this moment. So, can you guess what I did? Yep. I went there. I marched around that generator seven times proclaiming God's blessing and power to start it. So funny- now that I think about it. Well, you can guess what happened. With all the faith I had in me, and I really thought I had at least a mustard seed, I pushed that start button fully convinced it would turn on. And when I did- nothing happened. The Haitian workers who were watching my little sermon display, etc, burst out laughing. Let's just say, I was humiliated that day. And really mad at God. Could He have started that generator when I pushed the "on" button? Absolutely. Was I acting a bit KOJO though? Yep. God called it and stopped it. Lesson learned. Ouch. God humbles the proud and lifts up those bowed down.

Matthew 23:12
For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 16:18-19
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

Proverbs 29:23
Pride brings a person low, but the lowly in spirit gain honor
 
James 4:10
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up 
 
Psalm 25:9
He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.

I never want the students here to think KOJO of me.  May my life and example be true and humble.


I think what's interesting about KOJO is also the affect it can have on others. Someone's  false humility in leadership or false sincerity can be devastating. Especially if they're fellow believers. I think God has been showing me through time that KOJO has a very bad effect you have to watch out for. Those who show false humility, false sincerity- can cause a deep bitterness to grow in you as you're affected. God says watch out for that, don't let that happen.

Ephesians 4:31-32
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Hebrews 12:14-15
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 
 
Matthew 5:22-24
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.  “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

Luke 17:3-4
So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”
May God help us!
Are you KOJO? False banana? A fake leader, A fake follower? It's important to check. How can you know?

 I believe there are a few ways:
  1. Get in the Word
God's Word is the actual breath of God and can penetrate to your core. Conviction can come from reading, hearing, and inputting the living Word of God.
Hebrews 4:12- For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing the soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
  1. Ask Your Family, Co-Workers, Close Friends
If they truly care about you, they will be honest. Am I'm showing false humility? KOJO?
Proverbs 27:6- Wounds from a friend can be trusted.
  1. Check Your Words and Actions
Are you words really humble words out of a sincere heart? Your actions- really out of humility? Do they match each other?
Proverbs 16:2- All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord
 
Psalm 15:1-3- Lord, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain? The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others
  1. See How People Respond to You
When you come into a room- do people move away? Do people avoid you? If so- it could be because of stinky "kojo." People liked to be around Jesus. The religious liked to hear him, though they wanted to kill him. And the sinners liked to be around him. What kind of people like to be around you?

Mark 10:42-43- Jesus called them together and said, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant

If you're feeling like you are KOJO, I have good news for you. God has mercy. God has grace. God can make you new!

If you have bitterness from someone's else' KOJO, don't let it take root in you. God can help you forgive and move on. If you haven't, you need to. I'm speaking to myself here as well.

May we live well and live genuine...true trees rooted downward, bearing fruit upward- Isaiah 37:31...thank you Inn Keepers Fellowship in Kenya- for teaching me this scripture! 

And may our lives leave a lasting impact wherever God has us!!!

Praying NO KOJO or bitterness from KOJO for you, as you pray that for me. 


Prayer Requests for this Time (Many of These Are Repeats)
-Pray for our remaining weeks of this semester, that God will give endurance- especially with the rainy season kicking in
-Pray for the new "open mic" time- it's been great so far.
-Pray for wisdom in building relationships
-Pray for good brothers and sisters in Christ globally- who are still seeking God's next best step for them, that God will open up the doors for them- it's a critical time.
-Pray for my Dad's back and neck, that there will be complete healing, also for my family overall, that God will keep us healthy
-Pray for my sister-Noel- is helping with a sports camp in Libus (Czech Republic) this week- July 9-13, that camp is wrapping up and has gone great. Also, pray for Noel and her Czech co-worker Petra- they have their English Family Camp from July 15-21 and a team serving with them from CA-, pray that goes great as well.
-Pray for short-term teams launching globally and those serving in various communities around the world- that God's purpose and kingdom will advance
-Pray that KOJO can't be said of any of us, and if it can- may we get right with God and others and move forward!
Blessing from Ethiopia,
Holly

1 comment:

  1. Holly,
    Got a facebook email from your mom referring to this blog post, thought I would see what you are up too and check it out. Glad I obeyed the prompting of the Spirit- I was really challenged by your great insights and analogy of the "fake fruits"! I too have always desired to be the real deal and strove to become Christ-like in my character. Sadly, I relate all to well to "religious pride" that often creeps into my personality when I am not looking. I take your message to heart, and pray I can stay truly humble and produce the true fruit of the Spirit that others can enjoy. I appreciate your tips for guarding against false humility- I have been focusing on the idea of presenting solutions and not just pointing out problems, in my own teaching. God bless you and Noel in all your efforts!
    Jason Hale

    ReplyDelete