Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Return of the Flying Moths...

A few days ago I was walking on a familiar "shortcut" through a village when I immediately noticed the return of the "big moths." I had seen these huge flying things a few years ago during rainy season out in the countryside- but haven't seen them since. They were EVERY WHERE in this village. People were swatting them. I laughed watching children chase them, try to kick them, and little girls screaming when these huge insects landed. I was trying to take it all end and be mindful of them myself...but when one of them landed on my jacket...well, let's just say I lost my cool. Did a little screaming and dancing...that had some local grandmas chuckling. These things are BIG and bee-like. NOT A FAN. Did they bite? I didn't know.


I found out later- these huge "moths" were actually flying termites. And they do signify for people here that rainy season has arrived. Interestingly too, they only live about 24 hours after they fly, then they die. They're done. Weird.

Those things got me thinking....rainy season is indeed here again. And that reminded me that I was here last rainy season...and it's been ONE YEAR. A whole year has passed!!!

One Friday ago, I finished teaching my last class of my second semester here in Ethiopia. Now, one week of exams are finished, then this week is the last. Then, that's that. A finish line will have been crossed. 

some of our students taking a final exam
my final class with my management students
my final class with my IT students, and my last class overall
Looking back, I feel an overwhelming sense of extreme gratitude. Ethiopia has been my home for almost a year, and the continent of Africa a year and a half. I'm so honored God has allowed me to live here and serve and learn here. 

Many people I think dream of Africa- of coming here at some point to explore or go on safari. There is a true beauty and uniqueness about this continent. Beautiful land, stunning colors-amazing sunrises and sunsets.


And of course- there are beautiful people- with rich traditions...food and music, history, that you have to see and know and smell and taste and touch to really take it all in. 





But also...on this continent...there is alot of struggle, injustice and poverty. Nothing is easy. You battle the elements and the inconsistencies. And most of all, you battle yourself. Because you're not comfortable.

But God is here. His church is here. Hope is here. All of this I will be putting into my book I'm writing. I've learned so much!!!

As our students and staff have approached the end of another semester, I've noticed over the past few weeks, the signs of fatigue. Attendance has been sporadic. Students have gotten sick. It's been hard to keep going. 

It's reminded me of running races. The last lap is always the hardest. 

Then after you finish, it's hard too...because sometimes there is a lull...and sometimes you're not sure of what's next.

I too have felt the tension of these two things...
  1. Trying to Finish
  2. Trying to Prepare for What's Next
So many times in life...we hit these two points don't we? 

We're trying to finish something- keeping up the strength, the focus, trying to finish well.
Or we're trying figure out and prepare for the next thing...sometimes not knowing even what that might be. 

Both are hard places to be in. 

I've been praying...Father, help me finish this school year well. Give me patience. Give me skill in teaching. Help me be an advocate for these students. Help me, help me, help me.

And, I've also been seeing the "break time" coming after that. There is two months "off". What then? What after that? Father...what's next? Show me your way. Show me your way. Show me your way God!

I believe God often calls for or allows the course we're on to be changed up. This is often for our good and His glory. If we run too long on the same trail...we may get comfortable, sometimes maybe more confident in our growing adaption and skills learned, than His. And sometimes God just needs us somewhere else. Sometimes I've learned even the hallways- when we're waiting for the next door- there's often people there that need to see your faith, your humbling. I believe the "church" should be present on every kind of course, in every kind of hallway...through the elite high rise buildings and skyscrapers...to the poorest slum community...God should have representatives there...to be examples of grace, love, integrity, hope, joy, redemption. A story bigger that the surroundings...people representing truth, justice, passion and a Savior.

I remember one time in Philadelphia we had a team of freshmen in high school on a mission trip. We were visiting the homeless under highway overpasses. One man crawled out of his cardboard box home and shocked our team with a powerful testimony. Our kids were deeply moved and impacted, myself included. He told me before we walked away that he had been a pastor once, but God called him to make his home with the homeless- to not only be a missionary to those on the streets, but also to the missionaries who visited. A timely word from an unexpected place- this man was being obedient and strategically positioned for major impact. 


I remember another time of being "between" jobs- when I got asked to come and speak for a young adult coffee house that had just opened. I didn't "feel" like testifying to God's goodness. He hadn't blessed with the open door yet. But God gave me a hard word saying: you do a good job giving praise to me when I show you your next step, but what about giving me praise in faith, before you even see the next thing, knowing that I'm writing it? Ouch. I went to that coffeehouse and gave God praise. Amazingly, when I was done, a lady made her way through the crowd- slipping me a piece of paper- it was a job lead that would be the door for my next assignment. Wow! God blesses obedience and trust!!!

I have soooooo many stories like that. God moved in His time. And it was for my good and for the good of others.

But finishing and waiting for the next thing to open.... whew...so tough. 

I know many people are in these situations....

So...I want to share what God has been saying to me through His Word as I finish this semester then look for what's next. Is it here or there? God has been saying to me simply...TRUST. Trust me and keep running. Keep your eyes on me. I will GUIDE you. I will help. I've got it!

He promises to be with us, We can trust Him....

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. 
 
Psalm 32:10
the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in Him 
 
Joshua 3: 1-5
When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, and the Levitical priests carrying it, you are to move out from your positions and follow it. Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before" ...Joshua told the people, “Consecrate yourselves, or tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.”

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. 
 
Hebrews 4:14
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 
 
Hebrews 10:25
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. 
 
Esther 4:14
who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?

Exodus 15:13
In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. 
 
Psalm 29:5
He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way. 
 
Psalm 73:24
You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory 
 
Psalm 139: 9-10
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast 
 
Psalm 18:18-19
The Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize 
 
Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith 
 
Isaiah 40: 28-31
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. 
 
May we finish well. And trust Him for what's next. In His perfect time- He will direct!!!

Praying this for you as you pray for me...ONWARD!!!!

Praises
-I have finished my classes and grading!
-I feel excitement and peace about the way ahead, God's leadership and love can be trusted!

Prayer Requests
-It's big week...many are traveling, crossing into new chapters, or waiting for new ones to open and begin, may God lead and we trust!
-It's our final week of exams, please keep our students and staff in your prayers as we finish up.
-Continue to keep my good friend, Mary, in Louisville-KY in prayer as she recovers from surgery.
-May we press on to finish our course and be ready for what's next, God has us!

THANK YOU so much for your continued prayers for me!

 I'm so grateful to be running with you!







2 comments:

  1. Great post, thanks Holly :) Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. great word Holly! Obedience is often hard! But He always honors it in a bigger way than we ever expected! He a good God! He loves us so much!

    ReplyDelete