Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fathers...A Steady Hand

When I was trying to write a special tribute last weekend into this past week about my Dad, I had a hard time trying to put words on paper. I've been so blessed to have an earthly Dad and a heavenly One. I wanted to give honor to both. But how do you describe them, best honor them? There was so much to say about each. Where to start?

I had my students "free write" about their dads also. What they loved, what they appreciated. Many of them had much to say as well. 

Here were some highlights:

He loves me
Is always there
Listens
Provides
Encourages
Protects
Advises
He loves my family
He loves my Mom
He believes in me

One students wrote: "His favorite drink is coca cola." Another wrote: "He is long and fat. His face is a chocolate color. He is very beautiful and a smart boy." Those made me chuckle.

One shared a proverb: One father is worth more than a hundred school masters."
One said: "A dad picks you up, brushes you off when you fall, and let's you try again." 

Another wrote: "A dad is someone who holds you when you cry, scolds you when you break the rules, shines with pride when you succeed, and has faith in you, even when you fail."

SO TRUE- Fathers are a gift! Such a blessing!

My Dad, Jim Garrett...has been an amazing Dad! 


He was surprised by having twin girls. They were only expecting one. He worked tirelessly for our family through the years. He worked at General Motors, many times working overtime, to create a good life for my Mom, sister and I. We never lacked for food or fashion or the latest toys, like Cabbage Patch dolls or Barbie cars, etc. Remember those? My Dad was provider, adviser, the main voice of discipline. He took us on vacations to the Smokey Mountains, driving both ways. He made sure we were treated equally- which is important for twins. He made sure we took swimming lessons. He coached us in soccer. He was our biggest fan. He was always there to support us. Every boyfriend (there weren't many)- but he checked them all. He set the curfews. He was there to teach us. To cheer us on. To share his big pepsi with us. He let us sit in His lap. He dressed up as Santa. So many wonderful memories!!! My Dad had us in church at an early age. He prayed for us. He taught us the importance of reverence. I could go on and on.  He's the best! 

There are many things unique about my Dad. He is an incredible server. He has served in almost every ministry at Ginghamsburg Church that I know of. Kids love him. He high fives them. He's a lay pastor.  Ginghamsburg is blessed by his service, the kingdom is!

My Dad praying for kids at "blessing of the backpacks"
He also has to hold the record for dead man float. He will float for maybe an hour in that position- it's relaxing for him. Many lifeguards have noticed and have jumped in to save him. But he's fine, just taking a rest, ha ha.

He's hilarious. And He's humble. He's been that steady presence through the years, the hand in mine. He's prayed. And through crazy career changes, he's supported us, defended us. Loved us. Has never given up on us.

My Dad's leadership was solid and good because His hand was in God's hand. He led well, fathered well, because He was being led by His heavenly Dad. 

Through every road, every turn, My Dad and my Heavenly Father have proven to be the steady hands in mine.  Keeping steady is important.

The roads here in Ethiopia are under construction. They daily seem to shift. It's maddening.  Piles of rock appear out of no where.  Smooth places become a mess almost overnight.



If you're not paying attention, you can fall in a hole- to disappear forever. You can stub you toe or trip. A few nights ago- I had a major fall. A road I thought was paved was not and down I tumbled. Luckily it was dark out and only a few people saw and chuckled. I didn't think it was funny- my hands were bloodied and my pants ripped. But it could have been worse. :-)

Life's journey is full of bumps. Roads with weird twists, unexpected holes, it's dangerous. Thankfully- God has given us our Dads. Our global families. And His big steady Hand.
Through life's changes, He's constant. We're not alone, EVER. He's the great guide. The great provider. He disciplines in love. He gives grace, never giving up on us. He gives leadership. When paths shift, He shows us the way to go. When power goes out (which happens often here)- He's given us His word as our flashlight- and His Spirit as our GPS.  What an incredible journey it can be!

I'm so encouraged by these verses...

Deuteronomy 1:29-31
Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The Lord your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as He did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the wilderness. There you saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.

Deuteronomy 8:2-5
Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years. Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you 
 
Deuteronomy 2:7
The Lord your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything 
 
Psalm 139: 1-5
You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me

Hebrews 12:10
but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in His holiness 
 
Proverbs 3:11-12
My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent His rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, as a father the son He delights in 
 
Deuteronomy 3:24
Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do..." 
 
Matthew 7:11
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him
 
Luke 15:19-24
But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
For those of us who have been blessed on earth with a great Dad, may we love and celebrate and honor them always. 
Happy Father's Day to my Dad- Jim Garrett. Know you are greatly loved!!!!

My Mom, Sister-Noel, and my Great Dad
My Tribe :-)
And for those who have lost their dads or have never known a good one, know God is your great Father. His hand is there for you. May we continue to celebrate Him as well!
May we continue on the paths God has placed us on, holding to the steady big Hand He has given us.  Praying that for you as you pray that for me. Onward :-)
 
PRAISES
-Interesting conversations have started in and outside of my classes with students and community members about faith and God; pray that God uses me as He wills
-Rainy season is doing it's best to kick in- cooler temperatures are coming back- that's been nice
-I've had to pick up an extra class of teaching- but am starting to get into a good pace as that was adjusted
-Teams had successful visits here and to Haiti; pray as others are still on the ground here and in Ethiopia, in Kenya, in Haiti, in Dayton, and all around the world

PRAYER REQUESTS (some of these are repeats)
-Pray for my Dad's back and neck, that there will be complete healing
-Pray for strength and health as season cools and rains start
-Pray for short term teams on the field, launching and returning- safe travel for all
-Pray for opportunities for me to talk to my students and staff about J.
-Pray for my sister as she figures prays through different ministry opportunities in her new area and which one to jump through
-Pray for wisdom in building relationships
-Pray for good brothers and sisters in Christ globally- who are seeking God's next best step for them, that God will open up the doors for them- it's a critical time.
Thank you for praying for me as I pray for you. Blessings to you in these summer months!
May you stay cool, find time for rest with your families, and enjoy our Father's Love.
Keep confident that God is for you and is working a big plan!
Grateful for Each of You,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment