Monday, June 24, 2013

THE FINAL MARK

I’m at the point in our school semester that is both exciting and exhausting. One week of classes remain, then two weeks of final exams. Points from the whole semester are being tallied.  And each student will receive a final mark.


students studying in groups
hoping to give 100 percent, A's to many students....as I tally final marks
I’ve learned so much teaching here in Ethiopia. I’ve learned to be flexible with lesson plans (not being technology or attendance dependent).  I’ve learned to be sensitive to an open door that could lead to deep discussion on life and faith that could have long lasting impact way beyond students remembering nouns and verbs.   I’ve also learned to be creative in planning lessons and to not be disappointed when one plan fails.

And nearing the end of each semester- I’m reminded again of how important it was for students to make sure they earned every point they could.  It ALL added into their final mark.

I think in life, we often get busy trying to earn what we think are points that earn us extra or bonus points.

Maybe we try to earn points that make us look more successful to others.   Maybe we try to get the bigger job so we can get the bigger house or bigger car.  Maybe we work for the respect and “like” of our colleagues. 

Often, even in our walk of faith, we often try to earn points with God that we think are big.  Maybe we write a big check. Or go to church every Sunday. Or maybe go on a mission trip.  Those are all good and fine if your heart has the right motive.  But it’s also the million things done daily that can bless God and others, not just the once a week, once a month, once a year action. 

Even living in a place like Ethiopia as a “missionary”- you can lose sight on the “points” that matter most.  It’s not easy here to keep in a good mood some days. I often get picked on, commented at, begged at and get over-charged, which irritates me.  Ethiopians are extremely hospitable overall to Western guests in their country, but you still often have a measure of unwanted attention that makes some days frustrating.

God has to keep reminding me that here in Ethiopia- it’s not just the classroom where my life is being watched or points are being tallied for the kingdom. It’s when I walk down the street, ride in taxis, etc.  It’s my attitude, not just my words, that count.

it's our attitude as we walk down the paths of our planet that can bless God
on taxis, on the roads, may God help us represent Him well
What are the “points” that matter to God?  What are the things we can do to bless Him? 

I’m not trying to earn a final mark that will get me into heaven.  That is impossible.  Only a completely holy, righteous person can enter heaven and we know the only completely holy and righteous person who ever walked the earth was Jesus.  My entry into heaven, and the entry into heaven for anyone, is only possible by Jesus.  Sins paid for- covered.  And right relationship with God restored. What a gift God offers us through Jesus!

So I’m not trying to earn points to get me into heaven.  I’m also not trying to get a bigger mansion there or get placed on a nicer gold street with a bigger crown, etc.  Though in heaven- there will be rewards.
My aim is to bless God with my life. To show my appreciation of Him choosing me to be part of His redemption story and part of His family. 

How can I bless Him?

I believe the Bible is clear on this. God wants us to love Him and love others. And share Him- His offer of right relationship...that sin can be covered, eternity with Him experienced- through Jesus.  That’s AMAZING news worth sharing!!!!

Romans 8:21-24
But not a righteousness from God, apart from the law, has been made known…this righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 5:8
God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Luke 19:10
The Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.

Matthew 22:36-39
Which is the greatest commandment? Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O man, what is good, and what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Matthew 28:18-20
Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

2 Corinthians 5:20
We are Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.

May our final mark, our life’s impact, be one that pleases God…one that blesses His heart. 

May our life make a million ripples and drop a million seeds of His love, His truth, His compassion, His justice globally by our words, our actions, in all we do- all we say.

May He continue to give us His wisdom, His mercy, His favor, His provision, His protection, His courage as we run on towards home.

Grateful to be on the journey with you! May we continue to give Him our best!!!

Prayer Requests
-We have one week left of class, then two weeks of final exams; it’s a high stress time for staff and students- please pray we can finish well

2nd year Management students, celebrating the end of another semester...coming soon
-Please pray for my Mom who has her second cataract surgery on Wednesday, her first one on her other eye was very successful
-Please continue to keep my Dad in prayer- his back continues to get stronger and we give thanks. His arm has been giving him some trouble in recent days, pray that nothing is serious there and the pain will go away from that.
-Please keep my sister, Noel, in prayer this week. She leaves the Czech Republic on Friday, arriving Saturday in the USA for a mandatory 6 month home assignment. Pray for her as she wraps things up in the Czech and that she travels safely home. She has lived in the Czech Republic for eight years.  We give thanks for her faithful service and example of a humble servant of our God!  Please pray that God blesses this break time for her.
My sister, Noel, at one of her final classes with some of her students before their summer break
-Please pray for my coming up break time (Aug-Sept), that God will give His best plan for that time.
-Please pray for many globally who need a door to open- for work, visas, finances, transition times, etc.
-Please continue to pray for the draft of my first book, that God will help me continue to write and finish it

Thank you for your prayers!
Onward with you...

1 comment: