Monday, June 3, 2013

HOME RUN...

I was watching some little kids a few days ago play a game with a stick. It reminded a little of baseball. They seemed to run around bases and tried to get to a “home” rock. That got me thinking about “home runs.”

And I started thinking about my run towards my eternal home.  How is my “home run” doing?

I often see runners in the streets and in the fields and hills behind our school compound…their running looks impressive to me.  Can the same be said of my run towards home in heaven?


In August, it will two years since I began living in Ethiopia, and will mark 2 years and 8 months since I came to live in Africa. How has my journey through this continent on the way to my home with God- changed me, impacted me?

How have I impacted others here? 

I feel like I have changed in MANY ways and have learned MANY things since arriving in Africa in January of 2011. I have had experiences that have shaped me and deeply impacted me.  I was making a list the other day of some of the ways I’ve changed or things I’ve learned. 

Here are a few…

-I’ve learned on a deeper level the joy and pain of SHARED LIFE. You SHARE so much on this continent- prayers, frustrations, food, space, internet connections, finances, pain, grief, celebration, candles, jerry cans, medicine. So much. 

-I’ve learned to say CHIGGER YELLUM (no problem) so much. When things don’t start on time, or things don’t go as planned- it’s part of the way of life here- that’s not time based, but relationship based. You have to shake it off and not be irritated- which as a Westerner, it’s easy to get irritated.

-I’ve learned FLEXIBILITY AND ADAPTABILITY. When power goes out or lights go off. When taxis blow a tire or run out of gas. When water is OFF and Plan A, B, and C, doesn’t work…you have to be flexible and adaptable.

-I’ve learned to shake off my personal cultural lenses that I see through and AVOID JUDGMENT.

-I’ve learned some STREET SMART BEHAVIOR. I pay attention so much on the streets- if I don’t- I fall down, disappear in a hole; get robbed or struck by a car or or a cow, or step in something that's not pleasant…that’s a short list. I've learned to be bold when crossing streets in traffic, I've learned to dodge traffic well.  

-I’ve learned to APPRECIATE GOOD HEALTH when I have it. The days I don’t feel well, are not fun here.

-I’ve learned and loved that you CAN WEAR THE SAME THING multiple times in a week and it doesn’t matter.

-I’ve learned how it feels to be a MINORITY.

-I’ve learned to NOT BE SURPRISED OR OFFENDED if MY SPACE OR PRIVACY IS INVADED.

-I feel like I've better learned to APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY OF NATURE AND THE BIGNESS OF GOD and TO TAKE IT ALL IN, BEING MORE OBSERVANT AND REFLECTIVE.

That’s some of my long long list….

I have made lifelong friends, found life long family, and definitely feel like I have learned more than I have taught and have received more than I have given.





God has taught me much as days have passed. And so much that I need Him more than ever.   I need Jesus- and grace so much!

I think what I’ve realized too about life here is that nothing is easy.  Life itself is a struggle. 

But what God has been showing me is if you bear up under the added weight of life or stress or trials that come, you can get stronger.  And that might be part of the point of God allowing things to pass our way, to help us get stronger.

We’re told in the Bible, trials and hard times will come and we can actually learn from those and grow from them...

James 1:2-4; 12
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

I think what I’m beginning to see is that my time in Africa for me in one way has been a kind of strength-resistance training. 

Let me give an example from what I've been learning in a local gym. About a year ago, I joined a local gym here in Addis. I thought it would be a good cultural experience but also a good way to stay in shape and burn off stress.  The gym also had showers and pretty consistent water- which proved to be a solid back-up for when water was out on our school compound.

For a long time, I worked out alone.  I guided myself through different weight machines and did interval runs.  And sincerely after some time- felt pretty strong and admittingly…a little cocky.

Well several months ago, I began working out with a friend who just happened to be a personal trainer.  And OUCH, my pride immediately was hurt. I realized I wasn’t in shape AT ALL.

I had never increased the weights or repetitions or miles.  I was comfortable and sat in that falsity that I was actually strong…able to master any feat; climb any mountain, …when that wasn’t the case at all.

My friend started working me through a strength training regime.  Weight was added for me to lift, repetitions were increased.  In the beginning, I could barely lift anything and could barely muster a push-up. My posture was also not good.  How humbling!!! 

For weeks I dreaded that gym time.  The tiny weights I began with, the weird squats that made me topple over, the pouring sweat… proved to me and I was sure all who were watching- that this American girl was WEAK. 

My friend also made me look in the mirror when I lifted or squatted or did push-ups or sit-ups.  I was horrified.  I always considered that VAIN.  Didn’t just guys with big muscles do that?  Why should I? I really wasn’t a fan of looking at myself during a workout and seeing areas that still needed to be improved. But, wow! What a great and needed first step.  


But I trusted my friend’s advice.  And pushed against the weight when I didn’t think I could push anymore. 
With continued encouragement and accountability and gym time- the workouts have yielded results. My structure and posture improved. My strength increased.  I was thrilled.  

I was reflecting on that this past week and how my “run” through Africa has often felt like I was carrying weights and how God has used that I think to humble me, teach me, and strengthen me.

I looked up resistance training online and it said it is any method of strength training used to resist, overcome or bear force. It’s when you try to get stronger by conditioning your muscles to lift either heavier weights or a certain weight for a longer period of time. 

If you feel burdened by a weight of some kind- maybe a time of testing or trial is there and you’ve been in it for some time and there’s no relief yet- continue to trust God.  If no resistance training passed your way- your strength could not increase.  God could be using it to make you stronger. If you push and press against it in faith, God will help you conquer and be stronger because of it.

2 Corinthians 4:7-9; 16-18
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair;  persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Psalm 119:71
It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees

I think on our run home, no matter what season God has you in or field of service, one kind of weight or heaviness you might face might be WEARINESS.  I know there have been days and weeks like that here in Ethiopia. The space between the bases seems too far.  Sometimes the valleys or deserts seem endless while the mountaintop highs too spread out.  But there is encouragement for us when we’re weary…

Isaiah 40:28-31
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

And I’ve constantly been challenged by God’s Word to keep going the extra mile, to love and serve.

Matthew 5:40-42
And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Often our weariness comes from things we tend to “carry” with us.  Here in Ethiopia- I’ve learned to carry only what I need.  Things get heavy and my shoulders get tired if I’m trying to carry around too much. Many times we carry things we don’t need to carry…things like worry, doubt, stress, unhealthy habits, unhealthy relationships.  May God help us to lighten our load if needed.  Jesus says….his burden is light…

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with the perseverance the race marked out for us.

Other times on our run (life journey)- we can get weighted down by DISTRACTIONS.  We can end up in “left field.”  It happens easily. We can even lose sight of “home” altogether. We start running towards other things, places, people.

May we keep our eyes on where we’re headed and not lose sight of what life is about in the first place. May we keep focused.

Galatians 5:7
You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?

Hebrews 12:2-3
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 

Matthew 6:19-20, 33
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasure in heaven….Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.

Proverbs 4:25-27
Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and only take the ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left…

There is also often heaviness on the "run" in the form of FRUSTRATION AND DISCOURAGEMENT. We mess up. Those around us mess up. Then Satan is there constantly to pick on us. To tell us to give up, to quit. May we keep running in trust.

1 Peter 5:8-9
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers and sisters throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

John 14:1-3
Do not let your hearts be troubled, Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you may be where I am….

How is your “home run” looking?

Do some people look at your life and whistle…saying…wow…what an obedient runner for God?  My hope is that can be said of my “home run.”

And as I round the bases, my prayer is that I don’t lose energy…even though the years will continue to age me…but that with each mile that passes I’ll look more like my King. I’ll mature in my faith and my run will actually become stronger, my posture taller, my confidence more bolder in Jesus…til I cross the finish line… and hear God say: Well done, my good and faithful daughter, welcome home!

I’m grateful to be on this “home run.”   And no matter what continents remain for me to pass thru, may I be found faithful to my relationship with God that gets sweeter as the days go by.

And as we run on together, may God continue to give us grace, favor, mercy, provision, protection and courage. As we push against the obstacles or challenges that come- may our strength increase, our endurance to withstand increase.  And may we not forget to invite others to join the greatest “run” of all time.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Onward with you!

Prayer Requests
-Four weeks of school remain, then two weeks of finals, please pray for our staff and students…for continued good focus and energy as our semester finishes in mid-July.
-Please pray for my sister who is preparing for a 6 month home assignment in the USA-beginning late June that God will bless this time and have it be refreshing for her as she reflects on her past 8 years in the Czech Republic and prays for the way ahead.
-Please continue to pray for my Mom and Dad- that God will keep them healthy, they are a blessing!
-Please continue to pray for many friends and prayer partners traveling in the summer months on short-term mission trips, and some going on long-term field assignments, that God will bless their travel and service!
-Please continue to pray for many dear brothers and sisters globally- that God will open up jobs, visa requests, and His will be done
-Please pray for me as I continue to try to finish the draft of my first book
-Please pray for me as I look ahead at my “break time” (towards the end of July through mid September) and that God will reveal His best plan for that and the way ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment