Saturday, June 15, 2013

ABAT...A Father's Love

Whenever I see a Dad here in Ethiopia carrying a child, I can’t help but smile.


It brings to mind many memories of my Dad carrying my sister and I.  We were the only two kids in our family and we were twins, so my Dad had to give us equal ride time in his arms.  He did a great job.



There’s something special about a Dad’s love and attention.  Dad here in Ethiopia is the word “Abat.”

I’m so very grateful God blessed our family with a great earthly “Abat” in the person of Jim Garrett.  He is our tribe leader and continues to demonstrate outstanding humility, leadership and love over our family.

Here is our Dad and Mom with some children from our church
I’m also so thankful for God’s love.  He is our heavenly Father.  And He offers His love to each of us.

Romans 8:14-16
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.  The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.  And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”  The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

Both God and my Dad have demonstrated such deep and rich love to my life. 

As I was reflecting on that love this past week, I think a Father’s love does many things. 

Here were some things that came to mind…

A Father’s Love….
CARRIES / SUPPORTS (physically, emotionally, prayerfully-spiritually, financially)

Deuteronomy 1:29-31
Then I said to you, “Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The Lord your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the wilderness. There you saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”

Deuteronomy 8:2-4
Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.  He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.  Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years.  

Psalm 139:1-5
You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.

Matthew 7:11
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Isaiah 40:11
He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; He gently leads those that have young.

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it will be given to you…

Isaiah 40:29
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.


A Father’s Love….
PROTECTS

Psalm 32:7
You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.  Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 91
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”  Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,  nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.   If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

A Father’s Love… 
TEACHES / INSTRUCTS / COUNSELS

Psalm 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.

John 14:16
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—

John 14:26
The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you…

Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

My Dad praying for kids going back to school
A Father’s Love…
DISCIPLINES

Hebrews 12:10
…God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.

Proverbs 3: 11-12
My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

Deuteronomy 8:5
Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.

A Father’s Love…
FORGIVES

Luke 15:19-24
 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’  So he got up and went to his father.  “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.  “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate…

Psalm 130
Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you. I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.  Israel, put your hope in the Lord, for with the Lord is unfailing love and with him is full redemption. He himself will redeem Israel from all their sins.

The words from a song I heard recently has been blessing me about God’s love and great forgiveness-the redemption He offers us. 

The song is called “Redeemed” by Big Daddy Weave.

Here are the words…

Seems like all I could see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me "son
Stop fighting a fight it's already been won"

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be
I am redeemed, I'm redeemed

All my life I have been called unworthy
Named by the voice of my shame and regret
But when I hear You whisper, "Child lift up your head"
I remember, oh God, You're not done with me yet

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I'll shake off these heavy chains
Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be

Because I don't have to be the old man inside of me
'Cause his day is long dead and gone
Because I've got a new name, a new life, I'm not the same
And a hope that will carry me home

I am redeemed, You set me free

(link to song...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGAYNKDyIU)


Praise God, we’re redeemed!

Isaiah 43:1
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have summoned you by name, you are mine!”

A Father’s Love….
REMAINS

2 Timothy 2:13
…if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.

Psalm 146:6
He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them— he remains faithful forever.

John 15:4
 Remain in me, as I also remain in you.

Isaiah 43:1-5
But now, this is what the Lord says—He who created you, Jacob, He who formed you, Israel:  “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze…Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid, for I am with you…

Psalm 48:14
For this God is our God forever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.

Matthew 28:20
…I am with you always, to the very end of the age.


As we celebrate Fathers this weekend, may we honor our earthly Dad and our heavenly One! What a blessing is a Father's Love!

Onward with You!

Prayer Requests
-Two weeks of school remain, then two weeks of finals, please pray for our staff and students…for continued good focus and energy as our semester finishes in mid-July.
-Please pray for my sister who is wrapping up her teaching and preparing for a 6 month home assignment in the USA-beginning late June that God will bless this time and have it be refreshing for her as she reflects on her past 8 years in the Czech Republic and prays for the way ahead.
-Please continue to pray for my Mom and Dad- that God will keep them healthy, they are a blessing! A big praise for my Mom’s eye surgery this past week. She had successful cataract surgery on one eye and will have the other done in two weeks.  Please keep that in prayer.
-Please pray for those who have lost their dads recently and for those without their earthly dad this weekend. May God give comfort and His presence to each.
-Please continue to pray for many friends and prayer partners traveling in the summer months on short-term mission trips, and some going on long-term field assignments, that God will bless their travel and service!
-Please continue to pray for many dear brothers and sisters globally- that God will open up jobs, visa requests, and His will be done
-Please pray for me as I continue to try to finish the draft of my first book
-Please pray for me as I look ahead at my “break time” (towards the end of July through mid September) and God’s best plan for that and the way ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment