Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Power of a Vapor

There are some pretty strong "vapors" here in Ethiopia...that often catch my attention.

The smell of rain is a favorite, but I'm glad that now has largely finished. I love the smell of fresh grass, bunna (coffee) brewing; popcorn popping and being roasted on the side of the road; the smell of fresh flowers. And who doesn't love the smell of clean laundry just hung out to dry?


Some "vapors" here aren't pleasant though. Most bridges I walk over – I'm convinced that the vapors from the rivers below take years off my life...they are that bad. There are smells of cattle and burning trash and strange smells I'm not sure what they are. There are fumes and exhaust from taxis and heated smoke rising from puddles of who knows what.


There's nothing better than the smell or sight of something fresh, pure, refreshing after walking through all that.

I was reminded of something else about the "power of a vapor" in the past few weeks...
Some of my new American neighbors visited my English classes recently. They shared passionately about the ministry they're here in Ethiopia to represent...a sports ministry called Vapor (www.vaporsports.org.) They talked about the idea behind this ministry...and I loved it...

Life is a Vapor. Don't Spend Yours on the Sidelines

They shared about their life journey and how God had brought them to this point. My students asked great questions...what gives you satisfaction in your life? Why do you live this kind of life... "serving others?"

Words of wisdom were given...be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger. Make your "vapor" count. (the word written in Amharic...then the English translation...was written on the board...)


I was reminded through this again,..that life certainly is a vapor..a short breath of air, a wisp on the pages of eternity. And with a recent birthday- I was reminded my vapor is about half done already- if my targeted lifespan hits its full course. I so much want my days ahead to be lived well for God.

Psalm 39:4-5
Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere hand-breadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure

Even now...listening to "Amazing Grace" as I write this...I'm grateful for the time I've had already and so grateful that our short time here is nothing compared with the bigger time we have ahead with God.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see. Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come. Was grace that brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home. When we've been there ten thousand years...bright shining as the sun...we'll know last days to sing God's praise than when we first begun....

What has my "vapor" , my life, been like so far? Each of us on planet earth has a unique design and thus a unique contribution we can make. 

Psalm 139:13-14
...you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made... 
 
John 15:16
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 
 
People have gifts of leadership, compassion, mercy, service. All vapors should point others to God. A wisp of a bigger story; of truth, wisdom, mercy, joy, peace, compassion, humility, generosity, justice. A Savior, A merciful high priest.

What are you doing with your "vapor?" 

Maybe your vapor is visible...seen as a wisp of action. People can see in your actions ...unexplained generosity or gentle, long-suffering service. Maybe your actions show genuine humility, joy, hope or forgiveness. Maybe it's a stand for justice or a stand against injustice. Maybe it's a life lived as a good steward. Actions that demonstrate unwavering obedience and trust despite the odds. Those vapors are stunning to see in a world that often just seems full of greed, mistrust and broken promises.

James 2:26
faith without deeds is dead 
 
James 3:13
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 
 
1 Peter 2:12
Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us 
 
Maybe your vapor is actually heard. It could be God speaking through you to others. Your words have power to impact. Your vapor can bless or curse, build up or tear down. It can harshly judge and point people towards the adversary (accuser) of their lives....OR your vapor can speak words of forgiveness, compassion- pointing people to their adversary (their merciful high priest, Jesus Christ) who died to give them life.

James 3:5, 9-10
Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. 
 
Hebrews 10:19-24
Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus...and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings....Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deed 
 
Sometimes we like our vapors to go on "stealth." To be silent and invisible. It's easier- we think.

Sometimes we get a look at our own vapor or maybe get a sniff of it and it's repulsive- so instead of getting to the root of the stench...we hide. We put on a good deodorant and act like all is okay. The thing is, if your life is stinky in any area, even if it's hidden..it still stinks. And it doesn't take long before it destroys you from the inside out. And isolation kills. That's when attacks occur.
Big churches often run into this...because "stealth vapors" like to hide in them. Those who like the bigness because they can't be seen, truly known, and held in account. Your vapor feels hidden in the masses. 

But you're not like anyone else. Your unique vapor, your life, is needed. God desires your vapor to give Him glory. Your life can bless your Creator. Amazing to think of, but it's true. And your unique testimony and gift mix can impact people- if you allow God to use your vapor to point people to Him. There's no greater satisfaction in life than letting your vapor give honor to God. It's amazing the places He will take you. 

Never dreamed I would be in East Africa
have loved teaching in Ethiopia
In this new birthday day year of mine, I've been asking God- how can I most make my vapor count, my remaining days on planet earth be the most significant for you?

God has been reminding me again and again that the key is connection to Him. Relationships take work: intentional focus, time spent together, communication. When you spend alot of time with someone...you start to sound like that someone. We are God's kids...and the more we lift ourselves to Him...pressing in without fear to seek Him, know Him, our vapor will be what He needs it to be as we reflect His glory to the world. 
 
John 15:5
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing 
 
2 Corinthians 3:18
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord...

May we remember the power of One life. Jesus' one vapor changed history's course for us all. He connected to the His Father and his short vapor had the impact God intended us to have.

May we stay connected and let our short vapors bring God glory and honor.

Prayer Requests
-My Dad has his surgery scheduled for tomorrow, Monday, November 5th at 7:30am in the morning on his back. Pray a successful surgery then a good and swift recovery for him. Pray for my Mom as she becomes a nurse in the next few weeks.
-Continue to pray for my sister- serving in the Czech Republic- that God will bless her relationships and opportunities to share.
-Please keep our staff at Hope University College here in Addis in your prayers. Our English team is still in transition, as well as our schedules. Classes are going well for our sophomore class. This week- testing will begin for incoming freshmen and a new freshmen class will start soon. Pray for wisdom. Also for the current students and new ones incoming.
-Please keep Francis and Pam Bukachi, former teammates of mine now serving in West Africa- in your prayers. Francis' mom recently passed away. Pray for comfort for their family.
-Please pray for Facius, my friend of over 15 years who is like a younger brother to me. As he continues to finish high school in Haiti. That God will give Him strength. Also- for all those serving in Haiti in extremely trying times yet again, that God will lift this nation out of poverty through the right empowerment.
-Please pray for the Presidential Election this coming week in my home country, the USA.
-Pray for the ministry of Vapor and for John and Julie Kirkland and their new initiatives here in Ethiopia.
-Please pray for many still seeking work, that God will open up doors and that hearts will stay encouraged.
-Please pray for the draft of my book, that as I continue to write and things get busy with classes again, that I will still be able to write.
-Please pray for those needing work visas, visas out of Ethiopia, etc, that God will provide and His perfect will be done.
-Please keep Ethiopia and its leadership in prayer.

So thankful God united our vapors. Onward with you!

Blessings from Ethiopia,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment