Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Little Boy With the Red Balloon

A few evenings ago, I was in a bajaj (a small motorized taxi). The driver had a person on each side of him while I was sandwiched in the back between a very old man who looked very poor and mom with her little boy. The little boy was holding a red balloon tied to a stick and he looked like he had just come from a birthday party. The little boy was probably four years old.

I saw the old man eyeing the little boy- when suddenly the little boy leaned over and in a very brave move...he hit the old man on the head with his balloon, then started giggling. 

My mouth fell open in shock.

I looked at the old man expecting some of kind of scolding to erupt, but I watched in amazement as the old man's eyes began to twinkle with new life and his face broke into a toothless grin. He started laughing.

Soon the little boy and the old man were deep in chatter- both talking and giggling back and forth. It was one of the cutest and most endearing things I've ever seen.

Even after the little boy and his mom left our taxi, I saw the old man still smiling.
Interesting what can be learned from a little boy with a red balloon.


We can learn so much from kiddos (kids). They are intrigued by the smallest things. They're delighted by what we so often overlook. The other day, I saw a little girl stare at her reflection in the mirror, then she kept making funny faces at herself. She kept laughing, so funny. The same day, I saw a little boy jumping off of a small step, over and over. He was thrilled with the tiny drop and delighted at his own success to master the jump. So cute.

On of my favorite kid memories here was when I saw a little girl trying to drink a cup of coffee- so cute in her trust that she would like the bunna she saw her mom drinking, even though the cup was almost as big as her.. :-)


On another day, I saw some kids leaving their school. They were probably in 2nd grade. Suddenly they started running towards me and I stopped ready to be mobbed by them- asking for candy or money. To my surprise, they ran just beyond me to some open green grass. When they reached the grass, all of them started doing somersaults, rolling over and over, delighting in the freedom from school and enjoying the beauty of play. I began to put my things down to join them, feeling excitement and the freedom to enjoy tugging at me to do the same, when I suddenly realized I was in an embassy area and I remembered my age. Reluctantly, I refrained. But regretted it later. I would have been a sight. But it would have been fun. :-)

Observing kids in their play has made me think about my own life in recent days. We often lose our wonder...our awe...of life...of God's work in us and among us, don't we? Things become ordinary, mundane. We lose our bravery to investigate when we're curious. We lose our desire to roll down a hill or turn a somersault or two or start a balloon fight with a stranger that leads to a new friendship.

And then in the midst of it all, we don't enjoy life anymore.

I think there is much God loves about children...their wonder...their curiosity...their bravery...their play...their honesty...their trust....that God doesn't want us to lose.

Luke 18:16-17
But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 
 
One of the things I have loved about being in Ethiopia is that there are still many things here that are still not ordinary to me. Sights, sounds, smells- views of mountains, skies, big birds, big bugs, herds of various animals, little kids dancing, so much that makes me laugh or stand in awe. 

street scenes
beautiful skies
big birds flying by and pick-up futbol games

the view from my office window :-)




 
Little kids finding rhythm :-)

But sometimes I fail to embrace these wonders and thank God for them, even here. I get busy or distracted and sometimes walk right past the extraordinary hand of God holding something together or even working in my life.

I believe God wants us so much to see Him, know Him, experience Him, delight in Him, share Him.

I've also been thinking this week of God's people overall, the "Church." How would  the world describe us? 

Would they say....

They're people who live in gratitude to God. They give thanks. They live in wonder of God and marvel at His work in their lives. They are joyful, spontaneous, full of life. They live in appreciation of the big and little things God does in them and around them. They trust Him with big faith.

Or would more people describe us, God's people, this way...

They're boring people. Mundane. Too busy. Missing God. They live not in wonder of Him, but often wandering from him. They're rigid. Lifeless. Ungrateful. And they only trust in themselves.

OUCH.

Unfortunately it seems we don't learn to truly live in appreciation of something until we have to go without it. The old saying is often true- you don't know what you've got until it's gone.
May that not be true of us. May we begin to live grateful now if we haven't been. Remembering to give God thanks and the days were given.

Psalms 100
Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His. We are His people, the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.

This Thanksgiving, my prayer is that I will live more grateful to God for all He's seen me through. For all He's done, all He's doing, and for all He is to me...and that I will fully embrace the life He's given me...my remaining time on the planet. That I will trust Him like kids trust those older than them to lead them...and that I follow Him with joy.

following in TRUST

enjoying life
May each of us take time this Thanksgiving week to roll down a hill or two. Have coffee with an old friend or make a new one by instigating a balloon fight. May we take a walk in the woods or up a mountain. Marvel at God's work and tell Him how great He is. May we sit under a big sky, feel small- that's not a bad thing. Be amazed by our God. The heavens declare His glory. May we give thanks to Him and live with new gratitude.

Psalms 19: 1-4
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world 
 
1 Thessalonians 5:18
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 
 
Onward with you in gratitude.  And know I'm sincerely grateful for each of you!!!

Have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving!

Prayer Requests
-Continue to keep my Dad in prayer as he recovers from back surgery. His back is continuing to heal and we give great thanks!
-Please keep my good friend and former co-worker, Debelle, and his family in prayer. His wife is very ill and remains in the hospital.
-Please keep our staff here in prayer. We've had some staff transitions this past week and freshmen have started classes. I've enjoyed my new students very much. Pray that God will give them a great first year of school and that we can serve and teach them well.
-Please continue to pray for many still seeking work, that God will open up doors and that hearts will stay encouraged.
-Please pray for the draft of my book, that I will continue to have time to write.
-Please pray for those needing work visas, visas out of Ethiopia, etc, that God will provide and His perfect will be done.
-Pray for me as I try to plan my "break time" in the USA- that I can get home for Christmas as God allows.
-Please keep Ethiopia and its leadership in prayer, as new leadership arises- that it may be blessed and favored by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment