Monday, October 22, 2012

The Perfect Gift

The past few weeks I've been frantically searching Addis in my spare time for the "perfect gift."

Well actually more than one perfect gift. For at the end of this month, which is soon, my Mom and Sister are celebrating birthdays- and I wanted to find the perfect gifts to get to them...ones that would be meaningful and "on time." Timely gifts with meaning can bless so much.

One of my students made my day recently with a timely "gift." It was some sticks of sugar cane on a Monday when I was feeling stressed. The simplicity of it- and it's perfect timing, brought tears to my eyes...I was so touched.


I wanted in the same way to find the perfect gift  for my Mom and Sister. I had gotten them both many things from here before, so I felt I couldn't look in the "usual" places.

I wished so much to wrap up in a package and mail to them something like... a week of beautiful African sunshine, or a breathtaking sunset- that would warm their day and make them marvel. Or wrap up a yummy bunna or macchiato to warm them on a fall morning. Or what about a little kiddo...They both love kids. That would be a surprise and a treat. :-)


But how do you really adequately honor with a significant gift...from thousands of miles away... a Momma who has been OUTSTANDING....through YEARS, DECADES of schools, jobs, countries and crazy God calls on both of her girls. 

My Mom with one of her favorite Ethiopia gifts :-)
Or how do you really pay tribute to a barbarian twin- one who is in so many ways my hero and example of a true servant and passionate follower of God?

My sister-Noel with one of her favorite little friends
It's been surprising to me that in the stress of finding gifts, God has blessed me with a few of His own, reminding me that God is the ultimate giver of gifts. He loves to surprise us and wow us with His attention to detail and timely giving.

Matthew 7:11
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him 
 
The past few weeks, I've not felt ready for school to start. I didn't feel like I had enough of a break and I was culturally feeling tired.  But God knew this and gave some perfect "gifts."

A big gift He gave me was:
  1. REINFORCEMENTS
Our English staff had all departed...back to the USA, Ireland and other parts of the world. I was on my own. Our staff housing nearly empty. The school year was fast approaching and I felt the enormity of it all. Then, God gave a gift... people...staff came from different parts of the world and even short term visitors- who filled our staff housing. There were God followers, fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, even a pastor. And a fellow teacher who had a masters degree in English, SWEET. Reinforcements had arrived. I felt my tired hands being lifted and the load shared. My burden lightened- God is good- His timing perfect!!!!

Exodus 17:10-13
So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
 
God also blessed me with the gift of some...
  1. Glimpses
God showed me glimpses of His strategy. He pulled back the curtains, parted the clouds just enough, so my hand covered my mouth in surprise. I saw the placement of me and now others- why I was here for another season longer. He was at work. His plan was playing out in greater ways than I could have seen and I was right in the middle of it where He needed me to be.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord... 

1 Corinthians 2:9
 No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him...

Isaiah 43;1-3
But now, this is what the Lord says—He who created you, Jacob, He who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...

Isaiah 55:8
My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways...

He also gave me glimpses of Himself. He gave specific "words" for my days, this season. One of my students even gave me a word (Jeremiah 33:3) for the new Ethiopian year. God was with me. He was speaking and would show me the way to go. 

Jeremiah 33:3
Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’
 
Isaiah 43:18-19
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

God loves to give. May we give back to Him.  Bless Him with our time, our focus, our trust, our good management of our lives, our families, our relationships, our resources. May we worship Him- dancing like David and singing and clapping and woo hooing- because He's worthy.  May we share about Him because He's our heartbeat, our life breath, our joy, our peace, our hope, our love, our friend, our guide, our Father, our God. Our ALL.

And may we freely give to others as we are freely given to.  May we give His love and grace and mercy and forgiveness to others because it has given to us by our great God.

2 Corinthians 9:6-11
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
 
As I celebrate my Mom and Sister this- their birthday week, I give thanks. For them. How blessed I am for their lives and examples!

I also give thanks to God, who put me strategically in a perfect family for me. And for a God who knows what we need when we need it. One who helps us pass through all storms and swim all seas and climb all the mountains we face, even African ones. The One who carries us, watching our backs, healing our backs, and carrying us forward, holding us together. One who is with us in the fields, on the journey, all the way til Home. So grateful this- Him- the perfect gift!
Onward!

Prayer Requests
-School is IN SESSION.  Our sophomores have started and I currently am teaching two Communication-Presentation classes.  (each class four hours of time each week).  In a few weeks- we'll add in a new freshmen class- adding one or two more classes to my team's schedule.  Currently we have an English teacher named Lieske from Holland.  And an American named Mai-Kim.  Please pray for us as we work to manage the classes and be effective teachers.  Lieske and I have been partnering to chair the English and Cross-Cutting Department (which includes English-Math-Civics-Physics, all courses students have to take that do not fit under a certain department). Please pray for wisdom in that.
-Please pray for the numerous opportunities there to share with staff and students the love of God and good news.
-Continue to pray for my parents and sister- for a great and blessed and healthy fall season for them- in Ohio and the Czech Republic. Thank you for many of you who prayed for my Dad's back again this past week. The surgery procedure they want to do soon should not be complicated and should relieve his pain, thank you for praying for that and I will keep you updated.
-Please continue to Hunter Heck, a college student from my home church in Ohio, still recovering from a car accident, he is still in very critical condition
-Please pray for a friend of mine who has applied for a visa to the USA, that God may direct this young man's way forward
-Please pray for many still seeking work, that God will open up doors and that hearts will stay encouraged.
-Please pray for the draft of my book, that as I continue to write and things get busy with classes again, that I will still be able to write- it's coming along.
-Please keep Ethiopia and its leadership in prayer, as new leadership arises- that it may be blessed and favored by God.
Thank you for praying for me as I continue to pray for you. 

Blessed October- fall season with its changing colors and cooler weather, with its pumpkins and college football time. Enjoy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment