Monday, August 27, 2012

Shaky Ground

The past few weeks have been an interesting season for me- personally, professionally, etc. I crossed my first year of teaching in Ethiopia finish line. I still haven't felt like I've caught my breath from that. What a huge adventure it has been- walking these roads- I've learned so much.


Then as I was breathing heavily at semester's end and trying while trying to unwind- I saw all of my English department teammates exit Ethiopia. Doug and Betty- two of my neighbors and teammates, and Fergal of Ireland. Things were changing quickly...

Then within one week's time, two of Ethiopia's most prominent leaders, died. The ground really started to feel shaky.

The first leader who died here was "Abune Paulos" the head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. He was much like the Pope of Ethiopia.

The Late Ethiopian Orthodox Church leader:  Adune Paulos
He had lived a long life and had done much good. And there was much celebration and grieving over his life.

Then came the news of the death of Ethiopia's Prime Minister- Meles Zenawi. This man had been in control over Ethiopia for over two decades. News had circulated for months that he might have died abroad. But when the news arrived here officially, there was overall sadness and shock. This Ethiopian had been brilliant, especially internationally. His sharp wit and diplomacy put Ethiopia on the map and brought great pride and respect to this country. Though his history had not always been favorable in-country, his methods of controlling the population were often questioned- he had left his mark.

The late Prime Minister of Ethiopia- Meles Zenawi
I remember walking out of our school compound that day, not really knowing what to expect.
I felt uneasy. An instability was now present. Would there be riots, chaos, mass mourning, demonstrations in the streets? I felt on high alert. It almost made my head hurt the whole week- as I walked about tense. The ground again felt shaky.

I realized all over again that here in Africa, the area overall is largely unstable. We are surrounded by countries experiencing political upheaval. Also- famine, drought, poverty. There's Somalia. North and South Sudan. Egypt. Even Kenya has seen some tremors or unrest in recent days. Ethiopia has largely been the most peaceful and stable in the area. Was that now changing?
Poverty overall brings a huge measure of instability to a place and people. Daily I'm reminded here of that and have been taught that in many of the places I have lived. There's a level of desperation that runs just below the surface- that at any moment could errupt- and security could become an issue. I often felt that when living in Haiti. You can often see it in peoples' eyes you pass on the streets.
In one of the slums in Nairobi, Kenya
All of this has had me thinking this week about stability and security. What makes me feel stable, secure, confident? And what doesn't?

Usually I feel stable if I feel in control of a situation. If I understand it and can work through it. It's usually change of some kind that leads me to feel shaky. A change of neighborhoods or countries. A change of jobs or loss of one. A change of leadership. A change of a boss or colleagues. A change of schools. A change of relationships, for good or bad. All can lead to shaky ground, insecurity.

Changes in your body can also do this. Gray hair or an ache here or there. You realize your age or you're not as healthy as you thought. This past week, I haven't felt well, which also made me feel unstable. 

My students having their grades posted- and many of them not scoring what they thought they had scored- brought insecurity, shaky ground. A doctor's check-up or a job review- and finding unexpected results- can make your ground shaky. 

So- what is one to do? What do we tend to do?

Well, I know what I do, have done, or am tempted to do...
  1. ESCAPE. One of the first things I thought of when I thought of Ethiopia becoming unstable....is "time to go." I need to get out of here. Isn't that what we often do when things become shaky? We want to escape. Some of us read books or go to movies to avoid facing the shaky places. We medicate or insolent ourselves from the areas we're not confident over or in. 

  2. IGNORE...sometimes we just ignore that things are shaking. We go on as usual. Ignorance is bliss- some say. (which we know is not wise!)

  3. GET CONTROL BACK- sometimes I have tried to get control back. We like to be able to control things.
But what should we do? What can be learned?

I think what God has been reminding me recently is that in instability, in "shifts" and transitions, which are all part of life on the planet- God is still God. And there is a Rock that is firm. A shelter that is safe. There is a higher place where I can rest and even sing when the the ground shakes. I can stand firm, on an unchanging  foundation that holds. I can have security in insecurity.

God's Word Reminds of Of This Truth in Many Places...

Psalm 40:1-5
I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in Him. Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Many, Lord my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare.

Isaiah 28:16
this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic

Luke 6:48
They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 

Psalm 61:1-3
Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe...

Psalm 9:9-10
The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. 
 
Psalm 18:1-2
I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold...

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble 
 
Psalm 62:8
Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. 
 
Psalm 91:1
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”...


Psalm 112: 6-10
Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever. They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear; in the end they will look in triumph on their foes. They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor, their righteousness endures forever; their horn will be lifted high in honor. The wicked will see and be vexed, they will gnash their teeth and waste away; the longings of the wicked will come to nothing.

Hebrews 6:19
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. 
 
I must keep these truths in focus.  

What else should I be doing, or keep doing when things shake?

God has been reminding me to make sure I keep the healthy rhythms in place in my life. The one of devotion, time spent with him. The ones of making sure I have time in His Word and time with family members of faith. Together we are strong. These rhythms: Worship, Prayer. Fellowship. and Exercise of the body, mind and spirit...are all keys-rhythms that help me to keep perspective when things shake.

Also, God has been reminding me that many are experiencing insecurity, shaky ground too...and they need introduced-shown that higher ground. God will often drop us right into utter chaos or allow things around us to shake so much- to show others a life where the foundation holds and a testimony shines, despite the circumstances. Usually God has something to teach us too. How can something strengthen if it's not tested, if it's not stretched?

May God help us!

My prayer here, even as I rest from school, is that even if the ground shakes in political transition, may my roots hold. May my life be rooted in the rock so much so that in shaky ground my life testifies of a peace, a joy, a hope that cannot be shaken. May my stability be in the right place. 

May in Him, I will continue to trust. 

If your ground feels shaky, you have an anchor that holds. A God who sees. Put your hand in His and fear not. Your Father has you!

Onward we run...

Please pray for me as I continue to pray for you. 

Prayer Requests
-Our school is considering starting back to school one month early. I need prayer for the time of rest and also what my role will be in the time ahead.
-I'd like to get a draft of my book completely written- and if I do get stateside during the next few months- to try to get it published. I need ample time to write.
-Please pray for the students and staff here- that our break will be a good one and that new staff needed will be recruited
-Continue to pray for dear brothers and sisters globally waiting for their next job assignment to open up.
-Pray for Ethiopia overall- that in this time of transition in leadership- that God will raise up and position His people in place and that there will be continued peace and stability.

Thank you for being on the journey with me.  Blessings to you this last week of march and beginning of September!
May these be our best days yet for our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment