Monday, June 4, 2012

On Public Transport...

One of the things I've enjoyed about life in Africa has been the walking. Despite the heat, dust, and nagging flies- I've still loved the open spaces that this continent offers. The colors, the good smells of flowers mixed with spices, the sights and sounds of children playing with the most creatively made toys. LOVE!!!


I love seeing ladies washing and hanging clothes, then making afternoon coffee-bunna. Seeing all ages organizing pick-up games of futbol-soccer. Hearing the Orthodox prayers ringing out from churches and big birds gawking and flying overhead. Seeing corn being roasted on the sides of the roads and cattle roaming every where. It's so much to take in. Looking at nteresting clouds floating by. And studying various shoe shiners working and street vendors selling everything from fruits and vegetables to t-shirts, household items and sticks to brush your teeth with. Even when you're called out to be FORENGIE (foreigner) and not a normal part of the overall beauty of it all- it's still worth that irritation. When you mix in the sunsets and sunrises- it's something you don't want to miss. 

But in recent days the rain then the unexpected shift to burnng sun and heat- has led me to take "public" transport more often than I'd like to. The major forms of transport here are geri (horse and cart), bajaj (see pic); blue mini-van (taxi), and bus. 


geri- one mode of transport

on a "geri"- you can also a the blue minivan (another main form of  public transport)

bajaj
big bus to the left
The cramped conditions, fighting for space that are involved on most public transport options can give you a headache. It's a ton of people in a small area and it feels like space invasion.
But God was able to use these moments the past few weeks to get me thinking and remind me of some important things.

One big reminder is that God definitely has us riding "public" through life. 

I remember Jesus praying for us- that we might not be taken out of all the mess- but kept in it:

John 17:15-18
My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world...
 
Our lives are not shielded from the pain and disappointments of life on planet earth. The biggest iron gates and best security systems you have- still can't keep out broken promises and things like temptation, pride, failure, disease and death. We all must face these things and battle these things. And we're living and working among people who struggle with them too... people who are on our buses, in our grocery stores, in our schools, at our jobs, and on our streets. As much as we try to ride "private"- and act like we have our acts together, we all actually struggle. And we need each other. I remember helping put together purity retreats for youth in the USA, Mexico and Russia at different times. When students started sharing at these different retreat times the struggles were the same, even with living thousands of miles apart and speaking different languages and growing up in different cultures. Language barriers were broken as the common struggles faced were shared. And sharing with each other actually led to healing.

I think as we travel through life on "public"- we can actually not only survive but thrive and represent God well. Even with crowds and all the challenges there are to face in a given day, God has given us His Spirit and His Word to help us not only survive the ride -but enjoy it too.

I'm encouraged by these verses:

Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth 
 
John 14:16-27
I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever- The Spirit of truth....I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you...because I live, you will also live....Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you...Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid...

Psalm 119:95
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. 
 
Here are some things God reminded me of the past week as I rode "public here in Ethiopia:

As Much as Possible...

Know and Keep To Your Destination
I have ended up in a few destinations in recent days I didn't mean to end up in. Opps. I've missed my stop, by one or two, and have had to back track. Be careful. I must be keeping watch on where I'm going. Hard lessons learned.

This past Sunday I went with one of my students to his church. It took five taxis to get there. But he knew the way to our destination and when we arrived I was blessed. I saw him play the piano for their youth choir and it brought tears to me eyes to see the heartfelt worship of these young people and their church. I'm so glad I didn't miss out on the destination God had for me for that day.


 May we continue to go the right direction.

Hebrews 12:2
fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith 
 
Deuteronomy 5:32-33
So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.

Know and Trust Your Driver  
In recent days, our taxis have been pulled over by random police- and we've all had to pile out because the driver had no license, etc. Lovely. But those times God used to remind me I need that I need to know my driver. Who am I allowing to lead me, influence me? 

Also I thought of God himself as my driver...and if He is at the wheel of my life- I can trust Him. Even with weird twists and turns- He has my and best interest at heart. He can see way further ahead than I can. He's proven trustworthy. May I not forget that.

John 10:3,14
The sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out...I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me ..."

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Pay Attention to Who Is Traveling With You
The other day I was in a taxi and a lamb was laying across the floor bleating its sadness at the whole situation. It had a horn and it kept hitting my ankle with it. Then it let out little pellets all over the place. I felt bad for the little guy- but thankful I knew he was there. If I would have stepped on him or any of his stuff- well, let's just say it would not have been good. We need to watch whose around us. And also keep in mind we live in enemy territory.

I was on a different taxi another day and a former co-worker was at the back and I was at the front and we didn't even see each other. I saw him only as we were pulling away. Watch who's getting in your transport- and keep mindful of the kind of influence they can have on you.
 
Proverbs 13:20

Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm.

1 Peter 5:8-9
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings
 
Watch for Needed Maintenance, Etc.
I can't tell you how many taxis I've been in recently that have just stopped. Maybe engine failure- maybe out of gas. What is carrying you? If it's something or someone other than God, watch out. No arms are stronger than His. 

Isaiah 46:4
...I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
 
Keep Good Airflow
Yep. I've noticed that if I can't breathe- I get sick pretty quickly. When your face is pressed against a window- just a little bit of air from that window could save your life. I was actually in a taxi a few weeks ago and my friend visiting from the USA suddenly told all of us to roll our windows down. The exhaust was flowing into the car and we were breathing bad air and didn't even realize it.
How easy it is for our source of energy and health to get tapped into the wrong air, air that could kill us May we keep connected to the only true living source of life and health and healing. 

John 17:5
I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 
 
Hang On
In bajajs, if you're beside the driver, you can actually fall out. Yep. Make sure you're holding on to the only anchor that holds. The way could and probably will get bumpy.

Proverbs 4:4
Take hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands, and you will live. 
 
Psalm 91
...Because He loves me, I will rescue Him, I will protest Him..."

Squeeze In
There have been some taxis that I've squeezed into in recent days that didn't look possible. But I'm so glad I made myself fit- because I would have waited hours longer if not. 

It made me think about my ability to fit where God calls me. Can I fit in and am I staying moldable or movable enough that if God asks me to do something or go somewhere or get in somewhere- they I'm able to adapt to that in obedience? If not, I could miss incredible opportunities for God to me. Looking back at the times I made myself squeeze in places- have led to me being a "missionary," a youth pastor, a radio personality, a foot nurse, a seminary student, a nursery worker, an ESL teacher, a college English professor in Ethiopia, a hospital office worker, a researcher, an advocate for Africa. So much. So CRAZY. I didn't think I could do any of those things. But thinking about what I would have missed if I wouldn't have tried to "fit" into that- with God's help- is unimaginable. I would have missed so much. I would have missed literally meeting continents full of fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I can't imagine not knowing them now and having them as part of my life. May God continue to help me be moldable, movable at His will.


1 Corinthians 9:22
...I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.
 
Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. 
 
As I ride "public" here on the streets and paths of Africa for this season, please pray for me.
I will do the same for you. 

May God empower us and give us His awareness and courage to ride public- with caution, with gratitude, with awareness, with effectiveness, with our eyes on Him til home.

I'm grateful for each of you and the example you are to me. May we continue on in trust.

PRAISES
-for God with us as we travel through life and fellow teammates-family
-despite a busy weekend- managed to get ready for classes and on top of my grading
-that Craig and Dave (from Ginghamsburg) returned safely back to Ohio

PRAYER REQUESTS
New...
-One of our English staff members is resigning- pray that we can manage his classes and find someone to replace him
-Pray for many short-term teams that have launched or will be launching soon- going global as summer season arrives, that God will give safety and effectiveness in places like Dayton, Haiti, and Africa and beyond
 Continued from last week... 
-Please pray that I will do my best in this season here in Ethiopia- to be more than I think I can be here- that I will be effective salt and light- and an advocate for my students
-Pray for our staff and students- that God will give good energy and focus; and that relationships will lead to good conversations about faith
-Pray for continued good health as rainy season approaches
-Continue to pray for complete healing for my Dad's back/neck and good health overall for my family
-Pray for some good Ethiopian friends in job transitions now- that God will be their provider and His perfect will be shown
-Pray for my book as I continue to write, that God will give the time and focus needed

1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me! What a great way to view who is the driver of my thoughts, actions! Jesus needs to be in my drivers seat all the time! Love it thanks so much for the wake up alarm! You are wonderful! Luv u momma

    ReplyDelete