Sunday, May 27, 2012

More Than That...

It was such a busy week, but even with that- I still got my daily barrages of "forengie" (here- it means foreigner). It's not meant as an insult here- in fact- it's more of a compliment. But, for me, it's no fun feeling like you stick out everywhere you go. In Haiti, it was the same. The word there though was "blanc." In Kenya, it was "muzungu." Here in Ethiopia- some other words seem to be taking hold too – China. Little kids say: china, china. Interesting. And of course- money, money. 

We're different of course, even babies notice. :-)


Working to be part of something and not an obscure out-of-place piece when there are obvious differences is a challenge.

But I've been thinking lately- as followers of Jesus and members of God's family- will we ever really fit any where on this planet, besides with each other? We're salt, light...our lives and words can purge. We can be repelled in places where darkness and injustice is dominant. Our lives will probably cause us to be excluded and rejected.

God's Word makes this clear.

Matthew 5:11-12
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 15:18-19
“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

When I'm called "forengie"- I often get irritated, though it's not meant to be offensive. I feel judged by the color of my skin and by my nationality. Here in Ethiopia, being white and western and American- is not a bad combo. But I constantly want to say- I'm more than that. I'm God's.

Here...being white, western and American means you're part of the rich, the free, the brave and the generous.

In other countries- this same identity could be equated with power, piousness, apathy, ignorance, and an entertainment driven culture that's shallow.

So again, here- it's a good thing overall. I'm very proud of my nationality and the country I grew up in.

But I'm more than that.

I'm so thankful that when God looks at me- He sees more. And when He looks at each of us- He sees more- the full potential that is there to be developed and maximized. May we see with the same eyes.

This past week, all over the place, I caught glimpses of those who were being more than they appeared they could be...

I saw an Ethiopian pastor volunteering with street kids- to teach them truth and show them love. I saw him love on the smallest and grubbiest of these kids and also the biggest and most dangerous looking- the whole group bursting forth in song- at his leadership. He was more than what he appeared.






 I saw teammates arrive from Ginghamsburg Church in Ohio- representing more than themselves- but our entire church and God himself- them saying- we're with you Holly. I felt tears burn my eyes as I saw them each day and when I saw them pull up their sleeves and serve our students and our community. They were more than they appeared to be.



I saw an Ethiopian teammate of mine turn into an evangelist and missionary as we road thru the streets of Addis, even witnessing to one of our cab drivers and welcoming him into the family of God. This humble man of family and faith continues to bless my life, he's more than he appears to be.

I saw my students- turn into big event planners to pull off a huge kids carnival at our school, a fundraiser for our sponsored students. I saw them turn into face painters, cotton candy makers, music dj's, helping kids enjoy a day of fun. They were more.





 I saw children who were more than what they appeared. These little bundles of energy sparkled in creativity...they even made our fountain into a swimming pool. They become dancers and brought joy and laughter to all watching them.












I'm continuing to be reminded here that we can learn alot from children.

Luke 18:16
But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these

Luke 9:48
Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”

Luke 18:17
Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child
will never enter it.

We all have potential to be more than what we think we can be.

Sometimes your age, background, education, even nationality- can cause persecution and dismissal. If your leadership sees only what their job descriptions demand and-or they don't know how to let your full potential be actualized....then it's their loss and God will place you somewhere else.

God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called. I'm grateful. We can trust His strategic placement of us.

May we be MORE wherever He places us.

One of my students recently wrote on my facebook wall- he didn't say "teacher" or "forengie" or "china"-or "American." He simply wrote: God follower. I was touched. May that be what all people say of me.

Can people see, tell, by the way we live and the words we speak, that we're more than we appear to be? If not, I was encouraged by- John 15. The key is connection. And we're invited to connect.

John 15:5
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

And we need to remember our identity. The one God has given us as His kids. We are MORE. May we not let anyone undermine or make us forget whose we are.

1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession,that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

We also need to allow God to use us to let others know they are more than what they think they can be. Street kids, orphans, the broken and vunerable need to know God loves them and has a plan for them. The meanest person you know...maybe the most disadvantaged or marginalized...the most bitter, forgotten or overlooked, might be exactly who God wants to use to do the next big thing globally.

May we be that word of encouragement to someone.

May God help us be MORE for His kingdom.

Thank you for praying that for me as I pray that for you.

PRAISES
-My sister traveled safely to England and back for a missions conference
-For the successful visit of Craig Maxwell and Dave Gibboney from Ginghamsburg church
-For the success of our first ever Hope University College Kids Carnival on Saturday
-For my neighbor Beza (Sami's mom)- the safe delivery of her second child- a girl named Sara
-For the nice weather- though its been warm
-For overall good health

PRAYER REQUESTS
-Please pray that I will do my best in this season here in Ethiopia- to be more than I think I can be here- that I will be effective salt and light- and an advocate for my students
-Pray for our staff and students- that God will give good energy and focus; and that relationships will lead to good conversations about faith
-Pray for continued good health as rainy season approaches
-Continue to pray for complete healing for my Dad's back/neck and good health overall for my family
-Pray for some good Ethiopian friends in job transitions now- that God will be their provider and His perfect will be shown
-Pray for Craig and Dave (from Ginghamsburg)- as they continue visiting partners in Africa this week- for safety and good connections on the ground
-Pray for my book as I continue to write, that God will give the time and focus needed

Thanks so much for praying with me and for me!

As families celebrate Memorial Day this weekend, I think of soccer tournaments, days at the pool and lake, grilling out, and the celebration of school ending and summer beginning. May God sustain you and remind you even now, you are more than you think and can be more. May we accept the invitation to stay connected and hang on for the adventure to continue.

Please keep in touch. I love hearing from you.

Blessings this holiday weekend and into the month of June.

Onward with You,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment