Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chicken Scratch

 
The past several days "off" work, not teaching, have been nice. Though I have still felt busy...trying to catch up on things I normally don't have the extra time to do. (like organizing, catching up on emails, writing). Also, walking through some new areas, I enjoy that so much.

Clouds and on and off rain showers have also made their way back into Addis, to the delight of most. A good rainy season means a good harvest, so about this time of year if it doesn't start raining some, people get worried. The air has been washed of the usual dust and smog, making it easier to breathe. Sweatshirts and light jackets, thicker wraps and blankets, along with umbrellas are now things in hand and backpacks. Those things are usually there just to block the sun's intense rays, but now it's to protect from the heavy downpours that can happen. Cooler weather has been nice. The season is changing reminding me of God's great faithfulness as seasons continue to pass.

In recent days, I've found my mind drifting to some interesting questions. And since I've had more time, I've sought for answers, frequently consulting google. :-)

On a recent series of taxi rides home, the taxis or bajas (small motor bikes)- I've been in, have ran out of gas- prompting pull-overs into gas stations- and long waits for re-fueling, oh the joy. So I've looked out the windows, and one thing I've noticed alot lately are chickens, not sure why. I've noticed how they scratch the ground. It's so funny to see and watch. And maybe because I'm not a farm girl, but I've wondered- why do they scratch the ground like that. So, I investigated. 


Other random questions that have gone through my mind this past week...

Where is that shepherd taking his flock?...


What is the life like of that little girl?...


One funny question I had concerned donkeys. They make the craziest LOUD noise sometimes for what seems like an hour. Why do they do that? Are they hungry? Mad? Trying to get a date? So I looked it up on google. And just to share, in case you have always wanted to know...donkeys "bray" for many reasons- sometimes they do it when they're lonely, sometimes to communicate with other donkeys, sometimes for food, sometimes in greeting. Sometimes in the middle of the night if they sense danger, they will bray. Their sound can be heard from up to seven miles away. Yep, I can attest to that. I think there are many many donkeys in our village.

Some of these silly questions have ran through my mind in recent days. 

But also bigger questions and deeper ones.
We are a questioning human race, aren't we? 
   
Like...what's ahead for me? How can I best maximize my life for you God? Where should I do that and how can I best do that? And obviously, I don't want to ask google those questions. 
 
There are times we question God, we question life's circumstances overall- Why me? Why not me? Why now? Why this? 
 
What do we do when we have questions? Who do we seek answers from? When you have more questions than answers, what do you do? What do I do? What should I do?
 
I've been thinking this past week about many people in the Bible who definitely were asking  questions or responding to uncertainty. I think of Abraham, Sara, Noah, Moses, Jonah, Joseph, David, Esther, Mary and Joseph, the disciples. How did they deal with unanswered questions? 

They questioned...

-You want me to leave home and you're not telling me where I'm going? What?
-You are going to do this now?
-You want me to build a what?
-You want to use ME to speak to them?
-Why did my family betray me?
-Why is he after me?
-Why am I here?
-Why this?
-You're going to leave us? 

Some laughed. Some ran. Some cried. Some doubted.

But some moved forward, not having all the answers. Some obediently trusted and because of that history was changed. 

Check out Hebrews 11...for some examples.

It's hard to move forward though when we don't know all the answers, when we don't know the way ahead.

I remember on most short-term mission trips we took students on- we would not allow the students to ask questions. Not only was this for the sanity of the leaders, for students sure can ask a ton of questions, but there were other strategic reasons. One, we may not have sincerely known what was next. We needed to stay flexible. But- most of the time, we knew the plan- and we just wanted to make the students learn to trust their leaders. And to live and love and serve in the moment. To not try to think ahead and to just live free in that. There's freedom when someone else is directing your steps- and you can trust that leader to get you to your next spot.

I believe that is how God often works with us. He wants us to trust Him. If we could see what was really going on, I'm not sure we could handle it or comprehend it, or see the result of what God was working for. We would miss the surprise, the delight, when at the right time- God moves or opens a door.  He says trust me, my timing, my plan. We can trust Him.

Matthew 7:7-11
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Isaiah 55:8
...my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.
 
Often, if we have questions we can't answer, we respond in different ways.
 
Some people literally do nothing- they actually try to escape the stress of uncertainty somehow. Watch movies, read books, go on vacation, maybe indulge in things to make the stress of not knowing go away momentarily. That's one extreme.

Others fix it themselves, or try to. They don't wait on God to move, they move on their own. That's the other extreme.

I've responded both ways.

But how should we respond?

I was thinking this past week about a youth group lesson I taught one time on the idea that God has given us an internal GPS system. Many people have GPS systems in their cars. You put in your starting location, where you want to go, and waa-laa....you're led to your desired destination. You're shown a map, told when to turn.  Nice gadget. :-)
 
Well, I believe God has also given us a GPS system...A Guidance Protection Spirit. (His very own).That also comes with His Global Positioning Strategy in mind. 
 
His Spirit is in us to guide our way, help us make decisions. When a juncture comes in the road, His Spirit is there to tell us which way to go. And we have a literal map, His Word, that He speaks through. How many of us keep our Bible in our car, in our purses, in our hearts. It should be on us.

These verses encouraged me this week...

John 14:25-27
The Counselor, the Holy Spirit...will teach you all things...do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Isaiah 48:17
I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.

Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” 

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Jeremiah 29:11-14
I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

God is with us. We are not alone on the journey. Even when there are unanswered questions, unexplained illnesses or job situations, God is still God. 

May we lean on God's Spirit and His Word as our GPS system. Trusting that He has strategically placed us on the planet for a time such as this and He will show us the way. May we trust and look for His leadership.  May we live and love and serve in every moment He places us in. He has the way ahead of us.

Amen!  Continuing to trust Him with You! Onward...

PRAISES

-I give praise for this time of rest for staff and students at our school, it's been wonderful
-I give praise that we serve a God who has given us His Spirit and His Word, each other as well...for the  journey
-I give praise for a good visit with guests from the Netherlands who are partners of our praise
-I give praise for good health
-I give praise for cooler temperatures and needed rain

PRAYER REQUESTS

-Please pray for many who are experiencing unanswered questions, illness, pain, and death- that God will heal, restore, give direction, peace, and comfort

-Please pray for Dr. Magdy and his son Mina and their final days of serving at Tenwik Hospital in Kenya, they head home soon

-Please pray for many traveling to Africa this month, that God will bless and protect

-Please pray for our school as we start back on Monday, for meetings beginning today in preparation

-Please pray that I keep healthy rhythms in place

-Please pray for my book, time to write

-Please pray for the Easter holiday (here- one week later)- for the continued time of reflection-fasting preceding that; and that many will hear the good news globally

Thank you for your prayers for me and my family! I'm so grateful to be on the journey with you.

As chickens scratch, donkeys bray and questions arise, may we continue to look to and trust our Great God.  He is working a plan!

Blessings and Love from Ethiopia,
Holly

2 comments:

  1. wonderful story, Holly. I am refreshed. I am happy for you and the brief break you are having. By the way the chicken scratching is in search of some worms and hidden food.

    Blessings,
    Ade

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great read Holly, I bless God for you. Comforting it does; I am one of them asking those many questions. In these scriptures I found an answer. God bless you my sister.

    Kefa

    ReplyDelete