Monday, March 26, 2012

"Vigilante"

For the past two weeks, we have been in final exam time here for our students. Before our first final last Monday, I received a paper outlining my "vigilante duties." What? I had no idea what that meant.

Later I would learn that "vigilantes" were sets of staff chosen to administrate-give the final exams per different sets of students. We had a a list of detailed instructions- when to start the exam...what to say when it began...how to keep time...how to take attendance. We were to stand watch...making sure the exams were given fairly. Students were studying in small groups all over campus.
Would they be ready...would I ready to be vigilant?

students studying
As I stood at my first "vigilante" post, arms crossed watching the students, I couldn't help but feel a little Kevin Costner- like (from the movie- The Body Guard with Whitney Houston). I was the watchman- the guard. I was to protect the integrity of the final exams I had been given responsibility for. Interesting feeling. But as exams went into the second and third hour of test time, I honestly felt inclined to become a little lax on the "job." Instead of walking the room, watching carefully, I was tempted to uncross my arms and sit down. I fought hard to keep focused and not have my thoughts drift. I worked hard to be vigilant until the last exam was turned in. Whew. Being a "vigilante" took some work.

The whole experience got me thinking about vigilance the past several days...about being a watchman. There are many "gate guards" or "night watchmen" in this part of the world. I remember in one place I used to stay in Addis, our gate guard would always walk me into our compound because hyenas were around.  I was very grateful for those guards and others who were posted to keep me safe.

God calls us also to be watchful, vigilant. How are we doing at the posts He has called us to? He does tell us to be on guard, watchful...

Matthew 24:42-43
...keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.





Matthew 24:48

Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you"

March 12:38
Watch out for the teachers of the law.

Mark 14:38
Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Luke 12:15
“Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

Luke 12:34-36
...where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.


Romans 16:17

I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

1 Timothy 4:16
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Colossians 4:2
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

2 Timothy 1:14
Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you...

1 Corinthians 16:13
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.

Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

2 John 1:8
Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.

Whew, we have much to guard, to watch out for. We're in enemy territory, in a world that's not our home. We're quick to become lax.

God calls us to stand watch/guard over ourselves- our hearts, minds, bodies. To guard or stand watch over your family. Your neighbors. Your friends. Over the least in your community. The hurting at your workplace. Maybe you actually have a "flock" under your care- a class of students, a youth group, a church, a community center, a people group. Are you staying vigilant over those? Or if God checked in on you, would He find you napping at your post like Jesus found his closest friends when he called them to watch and pray?

Matthew 26:40
Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?”

One of the most difficult watchman duties God called me to was over a big group of Ohio youth at a big church. For five years, God said- watch this flock. Stand guard. Shepherd them. I said, I don't know how, even where to begin to do this. Thankfully other experienced shepherds were there who helped me learn. But it was stretching.

a discipleship group
I remember in the beginning how I almost had "hyper vigilance." I was working frantically, speaking frantically, trying to connect with students and impact them frantically. God certainly had a big lesson to teach me about good vigilance. 

 At a big weekly event we had for largely un-churched community students- this was where I struggled the most.


The hyper vigilance kicked in. I got laughed at by many students when I tried to be "cool" or talk to them about God. After many many times of not doing that well, I told God I wasn't good at what He called me to do. And He said, you're right, you're not. But it's because you're not partnering with me on it. He would show me that good vigilance is simply prayer. He said stand watch and "pray without ceasing" and I will show you the student that needs someone to talk to...unless I'm at work in that kid's life already, you will hit a brick wall, a cold heart. Ministry is partnership. And the most important thing in that is connection with me. Good vigilance is good prayer. When I finally learned that from God, the pressure was much less.

Sometimes I believe people often try to pass off the duty and responsibility of vigilance. Some say....let the pastor pray, let the teacher pray, let the youth leaders pray for my kids. In America, for example, you put security cameras on your property, you build gates and fences. You get motion detectors. You have security blocks for your kids' computers. Then you think I've done my part.

But vigilance is much harder work than that. It's on your face prayer and fasting. It can't be bought, it has to be fought on the floor. Satan easily gets over gates and through security systems if no one is praying on your wall. Only partnership with God and staying on guard will protect you and those you love.

I believe God wants us to stay vigilant. To fear not and stay alert. We're not in safe territory.
I remember in Haiti, after our compound was robbed one time, we hired guards. They would walk the compound perimeter at night. One time the staff was sitting around suddenly all the guards hid under the tables. They were afraid of a "light" coming down the mountain, thinking it was bad voodoo spirit thing. It was probably a little lady carrying a lantern.

We must remember we have NOTHING to fear. But we must stand guard and watch and pray. Stay at our post in vigilance.

1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

One of the greatest privileges and responsibilities we have is as a watchman, a "vigilante." To pray over the people we know. To pray over God's work being doing. Our King says: stay vigilant.

I was reminded in my quiet time this week about how quickly we forget to stay vigilant, to stay at our posts. How quick we are to forget our great God.

This past Sunday, I went with some of our Orthodox students to visit a mountain and some different churches. We sat and looked at these churches, prayed, reflected. 



students praying towards the church


We walked on the roads discussing scripture and remembering what calls us to be and that He wants to be remembered, honored.

walking from one church to another, discussing scripture as we went


May we not forget Him...

Deuteronomy 6: 1-12
....be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD, the God of your ancestors, promised you.....Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.  When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

May we keep to our posts, knowing the One who put us where we are, will give us what we need to press on. 

Stay on your wall. Don't grow weary. Victory is ours. The dawn is coming, breakthroughs are near.
Wait for it. Don't miss it.

Psalm 130:5-7
I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning...put your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love.

I'm also grateful that God continues to "watch" over and stay vigilante over us.

Psalm 121:2-4
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot slip, He who watches over you will not slumber...

May that give us confidence to run on.  Onward...

Praises
-A praise for my good friend, Dr. Magdy Khalil and his son Mina and their safe arrival in Kenya
-A praise that our first semester is finished!
-A praise for a bit of a break from the usual schedule to reflect and plan
-A praise that our parents celebrated their wedding anniversary yesterday, on Monday, March 26
So grateful for them!

So blessed by wonderful parents! Happy 41st wedding anniversary to them (3-26-2012)
Prayer Requests
-Please pray that students and staff who travel "home" (out of Addis) for the next few weeks- will have a safe journey and good time with their families
-Pray for students who did not do as well on their grades as they wanted to this first semester, that they will take pride in the work they did accomplish and stay encouraged to continue
-Pray for some guests we have this week from Holland who are helping fund the school. That their evaluation and trip will be successful
-Pray for the remaining Lent season until Easter (here celebrated on April )- that we will humble ourselves before God to hear Him, love Him, honor Him
-Please pray for several Ethiopian friends who are in a hard work situation, that God will have His way
-Please pray for our planning for next semester, that God will give wisdom
-Please pray for continued good health, for my parents and sister too
-Please pray for writing my book, that I will have time to get a solid first draft done in the coming months
-Please continue to pray for Magdy Khalil and Mina- that God will continue to bless their time serving in Kenya at Tenwik Hospital

Thank you for journeying with me.  Many of you sit on the "wall" for me, being vigilant for me and my family. So grateful for you!  Know I'm doing the same for you.  

Blessings from Addis- Holly

1 comment:

  1. So thankful for your message of vigilance. So true and so right for generations to come. Holly please take care of yourself and thank you for the opportunity to serve the Lord and others through the work He has called you to do. I'm blessed and will continue to lift you and yours up to Him our Father who cares and is vigilant in His efforts to protect us and guide us into His path of righteousness. You are in the palm of His hand and in His name!

    Love you,

    Martha Hamilton

    ReplyDelete