Sunday, April 22, 2012

SALT

One thing that is needed here in Ethiopia for many foods is salt. Several times this past week, I heard people asking for salt. And it got me thinking about my recent days here and how "salt" really has been so needed and evident.


The past few weeks I've been very blessed to come in contact with many people sharing what the Bible talks about as "salt."

Matthew 5:13
You are the salt of the earth...

Those whose lives flavor the ordinary- with wisdom, grace, kindness, humility, truth. 
Salt flavors, seasons. It's like sweet heavenly spice. You notice it. And when it's not there, you miss it. 
 
2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him...

I've enjoyed in recent days coming into contact with this flavoring-seasoning salt. The salt of kids has made me smile, they flavor things. They make me laugh with their honesty, their innocence...

Sami the other day on campus, surprisingly dressed as a girl and wearing nail polish, so funny

these little ladies always make me smile :-)
Does your life...your words, your actions, your love, your service for others...season-flavor where you work? Your community? Your home? Your conversations? Your taxi rides? Our lives should.

Salt also preserves. Our lives should be helping to preserve the work of God, the Word of God, the plan of God in those we come in contact with. Our words. Our actions (even non-verbal) can help preserve God's work in people. We can encourage, uplift.

Recent days with friends here and friends visiting...these times have helped preserve the words God has said to me. During stress, during fatigue, the "salt" you say and live can preserve God's work in others.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
Encourage one another and build one another up...

Hebrews10:24-25
Let us consider how we may spur one another on...Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another...

Some of my E brothers, whose lives are SALT
SALT in action
My prayer partners globally- were big "salt" in my life this past week. Many of you received a prayer request from me about my Dad. He had received a report from one doctor- and it wasn't good. Pain in his leg led to x-rays that revealed multiple problems with his back and neck. I asked people to pray. The encouragement that poured in encouraged me at the deepest part of my heart. Your prayers helped preserve in me God's truth that He's bigger, stronger and has the final word. 

When another doctor examined my Dad- a much better diagnosis was shared. We celebrated. Praise be to God!

Salt also cleanses. I remember often rinsing with salt water or using it to clean wounds when nothing else was available. I believe people with the Word of God in them can also be that kind of cleansing salt in other people's lives. 

God can also use us to speak boldly into situations and lives to help the need for cleansing and repentance to be revealed.

Hebrews 4:12
The word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edge sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart...

I was blessed to experience Easter here last week.

I was blessed to go to a huge stadium event where an evangelical Ethiopian pastor gave a hard word but a very needed one about true transformation. 



This pastor said Ethiopia would never be lifted out of poverty unless corruption in individual lives all the way up to the high government places was eradicated. That message stung as each person looked deeply into our own lives remembering that...

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Proverbs 27:6
Wounds from a friend can be trusted...

I'm grateful for those who speak the truth in love and challenge me by the way they live, the purity of their lives, to do the same.

Repentance and humility is so importance. These were very evident in Ethiopia the past few weeks during the Easter holiday. 
 

God's Word cleanses. It causes humility and repentance, and this is good. 

Our lives can act as good and needed cleansing salt for others- as God globally positions us.

Those who speak truth boldly even at the cost of persecution, loss of jobs, ridicule...these are the barbarians that I love to encounter and run with!

Jesus also warned of BAD salt or too much salt. The Pharisees had too much salt- and it had a repelling effect on others lives. 
 
Matthew 23:1-12
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples....do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them. Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues, they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others. “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers....The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. 
 
Our lives should be the very salt of heaven. The aroma of a Savior who died for a broken world. Is your life salt on the earth? The right amount? 

God can use us in powerful ways to flavor/season...causing a watching world to be thirsty for the joy/peace/hope/confidence/love you demonstrate. God can use your life...your words, your actions...to help preserve His Word and work in others. God can use your life to cleanse...to speak the truth boldly in love. To stand up for the least and the lost. To stand up against corruption and injustice. 
 
May our lives be SALT!

PRAISES
-Easter was great to experience here. I'm so grateful for Jesus!
-My dad's second opinion from a doctor on his back condition was much better than the first. Thank you for praying! We're still trusting God for complete healing for my Dad.
-School successfully started this past week. Classes were maybe 60 to 80% full and we're expecting a full house this coming week. It's always tough coming off a break, but I felt good about this past week, praise God!
-Several visitors came and went through Africa this past week. I also praise God for connecting me with these dear brothers and sisters...who blessed me by their salt. Praise God!

PRAYER REQUESTS
-Please continue to pray for my family. My Dad- that his back will be healed and that doctors will advise my parents on the best steps forward. Keep my Mom and sister (Noel) in your prayers as well.
-Please pray for our school semester as it continues, that God will use me in big ways in the lives of my students and our staff.
-Please pray for my continued good health.
-Please pray God will use my life here to toss seed as the Spirit directs and to be good salt.
-Please pray for my book, that I will get the time I need to write and for my way ahead, that God will direct in all.
 
Thank you for your prayers and continued partnership with me. I'm grateful to be on the journey with each of you.

Have a blessed week and please keep in touch.  You being on the journey with me helps "salt" my way.

Grateful for you in Ethiopia,
Holly












No comments:

Post a Comment