Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Lesson in Reverence

I've learned so much since living here in Ethiopia. Lessons from old people, young people, even from just observing as I walk the streets. God has been speaking in so many ways, I'm grateful.    I've learned so much from our students as well. What a blessing they are!
Some of our students :-)

Our students have finished their semester and now are in two weeks of finals. I'm praying for them!

I'm also reflecting on the many things I learned so far.

One of the things you notice right away about Ethiopia is its deep religious roots. On streets you see people walking, many of them covered in a white head covering or shawl. When people pass by church gates, there is acknowledgment and reverence paid. They shape their hand in the symbol of a cross and make the sign of the cross, then they bow a few times towards the church. Sometimes, I'm not even aware that we're passing a church. It may be far off in the distance. But every church that is passed- seems reverenced by someone. Children, teens, men, women...all ages and economic backgrounds do this. Even people driving taxis, sitting in taxis, all do this. You often see people kissing the church gates or putting their foreheads against it. Some face the walls, some sit in the fields near the church or on the mountainside near a church- praying or listening to the prayers or singing-chanting that often rings out from loud speakers and old PA systems. And at several times during the day and night, you prayers or readings ringing out in the sky.  Wow.  This video I took this weekend at the church gate across from our school compound...


There seems to be a deep humility here. A deep reverence for God and the church. There are so many practices I see here that seem to be Old Testament in tradition. Many "religious festivals", many times of fasting. Most of our students are involved in these. This time before Easter (the Lent season)- many fast until 3pm or 6pm each day. It really makes you question how much your relationship with God affects or defines your life. Is it something you do once a week, or something you live out daily, remembering the God you serve? 

This past week one of my students invited me to a special service at the Orthodox church/compound across the street from our school. It was a special service being held in observance of Easter. I wasn't sure what to expect. But I would learn a big lesson in reverence.

It was last Wednesday and at 5pm, at the end of a busy school day, I rushed to grab my "scarf" -shawl- and made my way to the church compound with some of my students. I covered my head as I entered the compound, the students reminding me. (just women do this). Many people were sitting in the field facing the main church building. We headed towards a building made of tin on the left back side of the compound.

the main church building inside the compound
the tin building where we would meet
I was immediately amazed to see about 90% of the 30-40 present were our students. Girls/women sat on one side, heads all covered. Boys/men sat on the other side. I was astonished to see many of our students leading the service. (this was right after a full day of school) One of our young men opened up the time with a greeting and some readings. Then one of our girls led a time of beautiful singing. I felt tears sting my eyes because of the obvious and felt reverence. It felt like I was in a youth group in the Holy Land. At one point we stood up, faced the wall that faced the main church building, and prayers were sung-chanted. Heads were bowed. I was so moved. I noticed one of our students standing outside of the door, he was bent over at the waist with his palms up as if wanting to receive something. Maybe it was mercy. Maybe he didn't feel worthy enough to come closer. It was touching to see that humility.

A priest spoke to us for a long while. It was in Amharic, so I'm not sure what he said. But students were taking notes. He had a wooden cross in His hand. He had the full attention of everyone. As he talked and it got a bit darker out, more people came in the back. A candle in the front corner was lit. I felt hidden almost. Which- I liked. It's hard when you stick out so much here. The ground felt very level.

Later pieces of bread and juice were served by some of our students. I thought it was communion but one student said it was to commemorate that special day of the fast.

I left feeling very moved overall. To see young people or people overall revering God that much.
WOW. It was humbling.

The past few days I've been thinking about my reverence of God. Do I revere Him? Respect Him? Is that clearly seen in how I live my life, in my words, my actions?

How is that reverence shown? It made me think about being a teacher. When I teach and students listen- it shows respect-reverence. When they acknowledge that I'm passing by or call my name from across the campus- "Holly" or "Teacher"- I like that acknowledgment. When they do what I tell them to do, this shows respect.

Now some people are "revered" or respected because of the position or power they hold. There are some in management roles that I'm like WHAT? God, why? They're just terrible or they've grown that way overtime. But respect still must be shown to them. Maybe they control your paycheck or their decisions affect you. You really don't revere them or respect them, but you have to respect their position over you for however long God has you there. It's not out of love or trust of them though.

It made me think of one job I had in a medical clinic when I was working my way through seminary. One lady, who wasn't really over me but she acted like she was, always seemed to cause me trouble and I couldn't understand why God continued to allow it. I kept saying to myself, you're treading on dangerous ground sister, God could get you with a lighting bolt. :-) That thought really did go through my mind. Bad seminary student, ha ha. Well, one day, when our office was busy, I went to our main doctor and told him that lady was not keeping up. I thought it was justified, but my heart was just spiteful, I was getting even. She did get in trouble and I felt God tell me I needed to apologize. I blew things out of proportion, yep, and it was done in spite. I told God- you've got to be kidding me. Do you know how much trouble that lady causes me? God said- APOLOGIZE. So, during our lunch break I went to a local gas station and brought everyone on our staff a piece of beef jerky. On my return- I gave them out. The doctor, who claimed to be an atheist, said- what is this for? I said- I was a jerk to "here" earlier and blew things out of proportion. This is acknowledgment that I was a jerk and I'm sorry. He laughed, they all laughed. He said- no one thought twice about that Holly. And I said- well, I have a bigger Boss than you I answer to and He had a huge problem with what I did, I answer to Him. That was a seed- that God would use later, but that is a story for a whole different blog. :-) But I rememb holding to these verses...

Colossians 2: 22-25
...obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs,...

1 Peter 2:18-19
...in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God.

With God, thankfully, He is for us and We can trust His leadership over us.  He has earned respect, reverence. I trust Him. How do I show that though? How can I show that more?

I think it's about acknowledging Him. (I know how much I like that from my students). It's yelling His name and involving. Asking His advice. Seeking Him on good days, bad days, all days.  It's also about listening to His voice, knowing His voice. Obeying His leadership. It's about revering His Word. Some people get killed in some countries for being caught with a Bible. But our Bibles grow dusty on our shelves. It's realizing He's speaking through His Word and then positioning yourself in expectation to hear something from Him.

Showing God reverence is also about respecting what He's made. That's the planet. That's other people. God took time to breathe life into each person on the planet. He made them. You disrespect them, you disrespect Him. Jesus showed huge compassion for the marginalized , the sick, the outcasts, and children. 

God loves little children, like Sami- my adorable neighbor :-)
Those society overlooked and rejected, He didn't. He showed them dignity. He valued them. So should we. We also respect God by respecting ourselves. You are made unique, with a special purpose and mission on the planet.  Do you take care of yourself? Realize your worth?

Check out these verses...

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. 
 
Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Matthew 25: 34-40
Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 
 
Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

1 Corinthians 6:20
...you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

It's also about respecting the "Church." The people are the church- even with all their problems, they are still family if they're in Christ. They're part of your body. If you hand is causing you problems, you don't ignore it, well maybe you do but that's not wise. You don't laugh at it. It's ineffectiveness and unhealthiness makes your whole body off target. You don't cut it off, give up on it. You nurture it. You take it to a Physician- at least you should. How much more should we do that with each other? We're quick to reject, despise, forsake our own body, brothers and sisters, that we need. It's Jesus' name and His message that gets defamed if we don't take care of each other.

1 Corinthians 12: 12-27
...Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. ...Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
And just a note on going to "church." Going to church is a respect you can give to God. It's not FOR YOU, it's FOR HIM. It's a chance to worship Him corporately, hear from Him corporately. He notices when your seat is vacant. No one likes giving out invitations and those invited NO SHOWING. People often say in church circles- I didn't like church today, the sermon was off, the music was no good, blah blah. But those are the wrong comments. It should be...was God honored in church today by what I contributed? May we honor Him by showing up and giving Him the glory and respect He is due.

Psalm 29:2
Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.

Exodus 20:8
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy

Hebrews 10:24-25
...let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

I'm so grateful that because of Jesus and His sacrifice, we can approach the throne of grace with confidence. I don't have to sit far away because of my sin. 

Hebrews 10:10-14
And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. 
 
May I not forget what Jesus' death did, the access it allowed me.

Hebrews 10:19-23
Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful

And may I walk humbly with our God always, wherever He leads.

1 Peter 1:17
live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear

Micah 6:8
And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

And as I continue to teach here may I also continue to learn. Thank your for journeying with me!

PRAISES
-that our first semester is finished, except finals, praise God!
-for good health and provision (water is still on!) :-)
-for my sister and her friend Petra's safe return to the Czech from time in California, also that Noel has moved into a new apartment in Prague and we give thanks for this new season for her.

PRAYER REQUESTS
-students are in finals the next two weeks, pray they work hard and score well
-pray for planning for the next semester- that God will give us a good plan
-pray for me to put good rhythms in place so I'm giving God my best here, in reverence
-pray for the neighbors and staff who want to start a Bible study-prayer time, for a good start of that after finals
-pray for a lion-chaser and great friend-Dr. Magdy Khalil and his son Mina leaving this Friday (March 16) to serve at Tenwik Hospital in Kenya for three weeks. Please pray for safety and blessing for them as they serve.

Thank you for the continued prayers, encouragement, emails, facebook comments and messages and blog comments. They mean so much.  Please keep in touch.

And may we walk humbly in reverence of our God. He's worthy and He's with us!

Blessings from Addis,
Holly

3 comments:

  1. Great reminder and encouragement as always sister, thank you for sharing. Praying for you! And wish I could come visit. Also you have the cutest little neighbor! Blessings on Sami.

    Baraka,
    Commander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly I loved your blog! So amazing what you see and share! God is definitely at work!
    Your blog makes me so aware of Heavenly Father and how he just wants us to spend time with him! reverence to the King of Kings!

    ReplyDelete