Wednesday, December 28, 2011

May I Be Spent...

Well, I'm back in the good old US of A. I was immediately culture shocked on entering Chicago and then on to Dayton with the choices of things to buy in the airports. I only had Ethiopian birr and just a few American dollars- so I carefully had to chose my favorite Starbucks drink in Chicago and savored it. Wow on spending choices. I would continue to be challenged by this in the days that would follow.

Yesterday- my Mom, sister and I went out shopping- which is not usual custom the days after Christmas. I'm not a fan of shopping. But my supply list was looming for my return to Ethiopia and my time on this side limited, so I ventured out to see what “sales” I could capture. But I was instantly agape and shocked again by bright lights, long lines of those trying to make deals, and just so so so much one could spend money on. 


Noel saying hi to Santa
And God brought several thoughts to mind in the madness. What are things of lasting value that should be purchased or money-time spent on? What has God given me to spend?

God has given many things we can “spend.” And it's not just money, if some of you, like me, feel at a loss there. There is time, energy, talents, focus. So much. 

What do I spend these on? Mostly in my life, looking back, I believe I've spent the most money and time on myself. Our culture's influence had a big part to play in that. But I'm thankful that God gives us grace to begin anew. For what we do with our life- we'll be held accountable for. And instead of building empires of things for ourselves- to make us more comfortable or entertained in this world that's not our home, why not spend what we have for God, His kingdom, for the good of others- for things of eternal worth? Why not help toss seeds of hope and love?

I'm grateful God crashed my earthly kingdom- pulling back the curtains several years ago on my eyes to reveal the kingdom I had built to myself. Showing me the titles and awards that I had spent time to earn, the toys and gadgets that made me comfortable- really did not fulfill my heart and life...really did not bring joy and peace. It was only living for God and with God- often in the most uncomfortable places...sometimes among the poor, sometimes among the rich, where I felt the least secure- was when I felt the most secure on a foundation that wouldn't crumble. And I found true joy. May I build that kingdom and be part of that story- not a different one that my culture says is more successful. 
May I represent Him wherever He calls me to

may I spend my life wherever God leads

Life is such a gift and I want to “spend” it well.

I want God to know He matters the most to me. I want to spend my life for Him. Not just my money, but ME, All of my life for His glory and honor.  May this be reflected in my checkbook, in my day planner, in the story of my life. That it's FOR Him, BY Him that I run.

As we all hustle and bustle around and end this year, may we refocus what we spend and how we spend and make it all be for the glory of God.... nothing is of greater value.

May I keep these things in mind...

Matthew 6:19-24
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. …. “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.”

James 4:13-13-15
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”

Matthew 25:23
His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’
2 Corinthians 12:15
I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls.

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? For you are our glory and joy.

Philippians 2
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

As I reflect on 2011 this week and plan for 2012, may my focus, my priority, my life be focused to be spent on the kingdom. Making sure the lost are found, the captives are freed, the hopeless find hope and those not living the abundant life be introduced or re-introduced to that abundance offered.

As this year ends, please keep these in your prayers...

-Noel made it safely home for Christmas. Please pray for her as she takes rest here and prepares to return to the Czech Republic in mid-January.

-I arrived safely home to Ohio also and have enjoyed the holiday time with my family. Please pray that I can get done all that needs done before my return to Ethiopia on January 5.

-Pray for our time as a family, that God will give us good quality time together to reflect and encourage each other.

-Please keep the staff and students of Hope University College in your prayers. Two of my co-workers are covering my classes while I'm gone and I pray God gives them the energy needed and blesses them.

-Pray for a good finale of 2011 and start to 2012. May I be “spent” the way God wants and as He leads for His glory always.

Thank you for continuing to pray and support me and my family!

Blessings to you and your family in the New Year.

Happy New Year- 2012! May we give God our best.

Grateful for you,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment