Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Airport Mania...


As I have prepared to travel back to the USA for Christmas, my thoughts have drifted the past several days to remembering the activity of airports.

How much are things supposed to weigh again? What time should I check in? How long are my layovers? Is Starbucks in the airports I will pass through? :-)

Long lines, security checks, grumpy people and workers...came to mind as well. Airports can be crazy places. 

But they are not all bad....

For sometimes, if you look hard enough, you'll catch glimpses of some extraordinary global travelers.

Through the years, it seems I've picked up and dropped off many of these extraordinary teams and individuals at airports. In 2010 especially, I was on the sending end. I was so proud of those willing to go, to risk all for our God, and deeply I pondered- God, will you ever send me again like that?

sending a team off to Africa in 2010
Noel leaving for Ethiopia, then Czech- January 2011

families getting ready to welcome home some mission interns, 2010
In Kenya earlier this year, I had the privilege of welcoming teams there and sending them home too. Also teams to South Sudan. I sincerely felt tears well in my eyes and my chest puff with pride when I spied teams coming through baggage claim. Fellow brothers and sisters in Christ- who left all to follow God- to serve in hard places. They would come often rumpled, jet-lagged, some even sick with nausea. But they came. I would tell those with me- there they are...the RARE of the world. Those who will leave their comfort. Sent by families and churches that were also daring to give their best, their cherished loved ones, for the cause. Heroes of the faith. People willing to risk.

view from the window getting ready to land in South Sudan
those who go with courage
These passages of scripture came to mind when I would see these airport scenes...

Hebrews 11...
...having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets—who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawed in two, they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— of whom the world was not worthy wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

Matthew 19:29-30
And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

May we all go, send, and allow God to use us in the dark places in the world. May we go with boldness, courage and willingness, in whatever season- to send, to receive, to welcome, to be sent.  May we do our part.

What will I see as I travel tonight from here in Ethiopia to Germany to Chicago to the USA?  I'm sure more winter coats will appear and evidence that it's the Christmas season. Maybe holiday music will be playing and that will make me smile. I will probably see or be in some long lines, maybe surrounded by stranded passengers, crying kids, or those fighting fatigue and irritation. 

But hopefully, I will enjoy the jump and will catch glimpses of some fellow global teammates. Those who may not receive a warm welcome where they're headed, or live comfortably where they came from. But ones God says of...THESE ARE MINE. And at the end of their journey- they will hear the welcome home they're longing for- when God says WELL DONE GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT. May I catch glimpses of some of these.

And one day, may that be said of me as well....

Matthew 25:21
His master said..., 'Well done, good and faithful servant.

HERE GOES....

Thank you for praying me through these last four months here in Ethiopia! It's been an honor to serve here and will be an honor to continue here in 2012.

Praises and Prayer Requests

-for my sister's safe arrival in the Czech, then safe arrival in into the USA this past week, may her Christmas and New Years time with our family be restful and refreshing for her

-for a good final day of classes today and that God will have His hand on the classes, students and staff here as they continue

-for safe travel tonight from Ethiopia

-for a blessed time with my A tribe (the Garretts) in Ohio for the two weeks were together

-for the work that needs done, support that needs raised, etc. while both Noel and I are home- that good favor will be had and connections made.

I look forward to seeing many of you in person or connecting over the phone. 

Blessings to you this wonderful Christmas season as we celebrate our Savior!

God Bless You and thank you for following my blog...praying, supporting and being part of what God is doing in the world.  I'm honored to be teammates, family, with you!

Onward for our God Always-

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment