Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Men Lamta...What Can I Bring?

My first full week and a half back in Ethiopia has felt busy.  I wasn’t just getting back into teaching and adjusting back to life in Africa overall… which is different in pace, climate, etc, but it was also a holiday time here. I returned on a Friday night, January 4. And Christmas day was celebrated Monday, January 7.  There were coffee ceremonies, church services, feasts, and invitations to things in abundance.

I also needed to visit my dear friend Debelle’s wife, Chale, who was still not well.  And also help them to celebrate their daughter, Merry’s, 11th birthday.  And there was a wedding to attend as well.

A common question I found myself asking was: what can I bring? (Men Lamta? in Amharic)

Thankfully, most said...just bring yourself.  If they would have said to “whip up a dish”- or…cook something…well, let’s just say I would have been in trouble, ha ha.  I’m not a chef.  So I was able to mainly just enjoy the moments…

Melkem Genna (Merry Christmas) party had for our students
Enjoyed some of Christmas day with Yohanna and her family
Had bunna (coffee), popcorn, and prayer with Debelle and his family
Later that week, helped Merry celebrate her 11th birthday
In reflecting on all of this activity over the weekend and trying to catch my breath, God reminded me of some things when I was reading from Matthew, chapter 9. 

I was thinking about what can we bring to God that is significant to Him.  I felt some stress this past week to "bring" the right thing to the right event.  


And I remembered what seemed to bless Jesus when He was here.

People brought Him many things...

Some people brought…

Themselves

Some needed healing. Some were just curious.  Some had questions.  Some just wanted to be with Him.  Most of them had needs. I believe Jesus was moved by their faith and courage to approach Him.  And He took time to hear them, respond, and love them.

Matthew 9:20-22
Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak.  She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.” Jesus turned and saw her. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “your faith has healed you.” And the woman was healed at that moment.

Matthew 9:27-34
As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!” When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied. Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”; and their sight was restored. Jesus warned them sternly, “See that no one knows about this.” But they went out and spread the news about him all over that region. While they were going out, a man who was demon-possessed and could not talk was brought to Jesus.  And when the demon was driven out, the man who had been mute spoke. The crowd was amazed and said, “Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel.”  But the Pharisees said, “It is by the prince of demons that he drives out demons.”

Luke 10:38-31
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”  “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

This thought challenged me.  May I spend more time with God in this new year and not other things more than Him.  Often here when I walk…I see beautiful skies, stunning colors on the mountains…that all whisper of our amazing God...and I try to whistle in awe, but I can’t whistle.  I’m constantly reminded that God is magnificent and present with us. The other day I was right by a donkey and my mind drifted to thinking about how the Son of God, the creator of the universe, actually sat on one of those, and my jaw dropped and I laughed.  Then I swallowed a bug.  But it was a moment. 


I believe God loves it when we bring ourselves to Him.  When sing Him a song (even off key), when we clap our hands or give a shout out for who He is.  He wants our FIRST glance, our first moments…to be His direction before we go to anything or anyone else.

Sometimes I think we feel like we can’t approach Him because we’re too dirty or too guilty- or not cleaned up enough.  I remember many times staying away from “churches” or “fellowships” because I wasn’t where I needed to be in my relationship with God.  I didn’t think Him or others would appreciate me coming that way.  And of course, I liked those things not being known.  Thankfully, because of Jesus, our sins can no longer separate us from God.  Jesus paid for our sins…so we can approach God with full confidence.  Sometimes we try to clean up or mask our “issues.” Here in Ethiopia, people cover up in shawls and blankets.  But I believe God wants us to press in to Him, confidently.  Our closeness to Him is up to us.  He knows us to the core of who we are. He sees us. And still loves us. Amazing!

Hebrews 10:19-23
Therefore,...since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,...and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings...Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful...

God loves us to bring ourselves to Him.

Many people also brought to Jesus...

-Their Friends/Family....with needs-sicknesses-diseases- troubles
Jesus honored the faith and courage of friends and family who brought others to Him.  Who literally carried the sick and demon-possessed and injured and wounded and brought them to the Healer.  Bringing people to God is part of our responsibility…people need Him.

Matthew 9:2-8
Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.” At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!” Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?  Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?  But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” Then the man got up and went home. When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God…

Mark 2:3-11
Some men came, bringing to him a paralyzed man, carried by four of them. Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus by digging through it and then lowered the mat the man was lying on.  When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralyzed man, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” Now some teachers of the law were sitting there, thinking to themselves… “Why does this fellow talk like that? He’s blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things?  Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the man,  “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” He got up, took his mat and walked out in full view of them all. This amazed everyone and they praised God, saying, “We have never seen anything like this!”

Over the weekend, I saw a little girl pushing another little girl who was in a wheelchair- and it brought tears to my eyes at the power of that action. Caring enough to get involved, to carry other's burdens, and take them to the One who can help them.



May I be bringing others to meet God, to see Him, to know Him by my life, my prayers, and my faith.

May I bring myself into His presence all the time. I need Him more than ever before!

And may I not seek out the attention or approval of others before Him.

Onward!

Prayer Requests
-Please continue to pray for the healing of my Dad’s back. He’s experienced more pain since his surgery and they’re running more tests to see what is going on.
-Please continue to pray for my good friend Debelle’s wife- Chale. She is back in the hospital again after some swelling and pain in one of her legs. (I’ll try to send more of an update on that this week).
-Please pray for my sister’s new schedule- as she’s now back in the Czech Republic. She’s added in teaching English at a high school- pray God gives her new opportunities to serve and build relationships as she continues there.
-Please pray for my work permit that is being renewed in the next five days, that things will be smooth.
-Please pray for our students and staff as we prepare to finish out this semester at the end of February. Pray for final tests, reports, exams, and presentations that still have to take place. Please pray for my schedule after February- that God’s perfect plan unfolds for how I can best serve.
-Please pray for another holiday time coming up this weekend called- Ephiphany (Timket)- an Orthodox holiday celebrating the baptism of Jesus. 
-Pray for many people serving international during this time and those serving soon- that God will protect and give courage.

Thank you for praying for me as I continue to pray for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment