Monday, January 7, 2013

2013- Beyond Borders

I'm beginning this first new blog of the new year from somewhere above Africa.  After an 11 day visit to the US of A, I’m headed back to Ethiopia now. And despite just having a bit of turbulence, I’m still smiling. 


What a fantastic visit I had with my family over the Christmas holiday.  After being in Africa for over a year, I was able to enjoy things I’d forgotten were so nice.  Things like soft water that feels like silk.  And HOT water, not lukewarm, with amazing water pressure.  I could drink the tap water, brush my teeth in it, and didn’t have to buy bottled water every day or haul it.  I enjoyed consistent high speed internet, chai tea lattes, and college football bowl games. I had a super soft bed.  Quiet.  Snow. I enjoyed being wrapped in things like blankets washed and warmed in the dryer and scarves and hats that kept me warm. And of course being "wrapped" in the security and comfort and love of my "Garrett tribe" was a joy...

With my Mom
Our parents, Rosie and Jim, on Christmas Eve :-)


It was a great reunion time for my sister and I
My sister, Noel, enjoying Christmas :-)
Thankful for warm clothes in the cold weather of Ohio :-)
I was wrapped in the ease and convenience of all these things and more. And I enjoyed every minute of it!

A huge difference I felt with my time at home…was that I was largely INDOORS.  A blizzard came through our area- and let’s just say it was cold.  I was inside my car. Inside our house. Inside stores and coffee shops.  This was TOTALLY different than my life in Ethiopia.  Tons of time in Ethiopia is spent outside in the brilliant sun…and I’m often coated in dirt and dust…and surrounded by smells and sounds and raw life.

On the roads here in Ethiopia...

Which way is preferred?  I was thinking about this as I traveled back to Ethiopia.  In the USA, we’re often insulated, padded, cushioned from the extremes...from wind, snow, rain, sickness, death, war.  These things have hit us more often than not in recent years.  But compared to how much of the rest of the world lives, we are insulated.  We often become boxed in, defined by borders or job descriptions or labels that often hold us back from our full potential.  We become relaxed and sometimes lazy.

And in thinking about the new year, 2013, what did I want to change or improve in me?  Where would I end up at the end of another year? How would God change me? How would I allow Him to use me in the new year to change His world?  Where were areas where maybe I’ve gotten too comfortable or lazy?

I’ve determined…one of my biggest prayers for this new year is to live in FULLY in God’s presence and purpose for me.  Like Moses, to know God face to face, and to boldly say…show me more of you. And to trust Him to take me to new places with Him- beyond borders and boundaries and limitations…to even part seas or free captives, wherever or however, to live BEYOND what I think I can be for Him.

Exodus 33:11; 13-18
The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend…
Moses said to the Lord…If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you…”  The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”  Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
And the Lord said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.” Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”


I want to boldly walk with God like that.  To know Him more.

And I need to watch out for trying to insulate or cushion myself from walking the narrow, hard way. 

I need to live fully engaged and active, not holding back, to do and be who God has made me to be. 


To insulate is to:
: place in a detached situation, to isolate, to separate

To cushion is to:
: control the effects of something…ex. try to cushion the blow
: protect against force or shock


These things sometimes I lean towards here in Ethiopia.  When I get irritated with the culture, I sometimes hide.  Or I listen to music and close my eyes to try to feel some amount of cushion and ease.  But I need to live fully exposed and fully engaged with God and others.  To not live behind walls or be confined to borders.  Things like insecurity; fear; fatigue can lead to this insulation, which leads to isolation. 

Missionaries or those living cross culturally- sometimes build big walls or big gates to try to give this cushion and insulation.  We must be careful.  Did Jesus do that?  No.

Often we also try to cushion ourselves in wealth or good jobs.  Maybe wrap ourselves in nice clothes or nice homes.  Maybe we gain security and confidence from knowledge or relationships.  We stay busy.  These things can help make us feel like all is well.  But these can become false securities and make us lazy if we’re not careful.

We already have insulation that should make us walk with courage… we are “covered” by God’s hand of protection and by the blood of Jesus.  We can move forward in confidence and boldness because of that. 

What or who are we trusting the most in? 

These verses continue to encourage me and focus me…

Psalm 32:1
Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.

Psalm 5:12
Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart

Hebrews 10:22
Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings…

Proverbs 11:28
Those who trust in their riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf

Proverbs 28:26
Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe

Isaiah 61:10
I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness…

Sometimes getting rid of the “cushion” is not easy or comfortable.  In fact, it’s downright painful.

I long time ago, I did a talk about how coming into contact with brokenness is one of the most powerful things that can change a person’s life.  My extended time of living in Haiti- was really for the first time that I experienced the deep brokenness in the world. I saw poverty, disease, death, corruption.  I saw the brokenness in myself.  This led to a repentance in me that was needed.  Also a deep humility and realization that I needed a Savior so much.

2 Corinthians 7:10-11
 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done…

I believe God wants His people, each of us, to move boldly forward in the new year, claiming new territory, not being held back by old fears.  Not being insulated or isolated or padded or cushioned..but going to the hard places to see God’s glory be known.

Isaiah 54:2
“Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes…

May this be our greatest year yet in honor of our God!  Remembering this God says…

Jeremiah 29:11-14
I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

Let it be!  Onward with you…beyond borders!

Prayer Requests
-Ethiopia celebrated yesterday, Monday- January 7, and celebrations continue today. Please pray that as people celebrate with friends and family- that Jesus will be remembered and honored.
-Please pray for the continuation of our school semester- (school starts back tomorrow)-that as I begin teaching this coming week that the remaining time of this semester will be blessed.
-Please pray for the continued FULL recovery of Chale (my dear friend Debelle’s wife). She is out of the hospital, but is still struggling day to day.
-Please pray for continued good health for my family in the New Year.
-Please pray for my sister Noel- that she will have safe travel back to the Czech Republic tomorrow, on Wednesday, January 9th.  And that God will bless her coming months and she continues to serve in the Czech Republic.

Please keep in touch and know I’m praying for you as well.

Happy New Year-2013- to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly - Laura Burns here. Noel gave me your blog so I can keep up with you. I am really excited to hear what is going on in your life. :-) Your posts are so refreshing and honest. Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete