Monday, October 3, 2011

Changing Seasons...the Ebb and Flow

Well, this past week closed the first big chapter of our time here in Ethiopia. Kristyna- Noel's Czech teammate, left Monday, after a month here. The very demanding schedule of this last month was set to maximize Noel and Kristyna's time together- and that time had a large focus on their Exodus project and families who they're striving to empower.

In reflection, it was full and much was accomplished. For me personally, it was a time of adjusting to the culture, being with Noel again, many things. Having Kristyna here was truly great. I even teared up seeing this Czech-Ethiopian team huddle together for a final time before taking her to the airport. I know God has much ahead for Kristyna.

Kristyna making her first injera :-)
With Kristyna's departure, we found ourselves in the middle of a holiday week, which there are many in Ethiopia. Monday was flag day- and they were everywhere. Even horses were wearing them. :-)




Another big holiday took place here on Tuesday-Wednesday, called Meskal. It celebrates the finding of Christ's cross by the Empress Helena here in the 4th Century A.D. It is believed she found the cross Jesus was crucified on, smoke from a fire led her to where it was buried. People stack poles with daisies around a cross. This is later fanned by torches of eucalyptus twigs. Dancing and feasting follow. We saw daisies being sold the days prior to Meskal. (we learned these yellow flowers also mark the end of rainy season and supposedly only bloom for one month- a mark that harvest time, a new year and season is officially underway. Meskal kicked off on Tuesday night, with a large procession in the downtown area and a huge bonfire being lit- other bonfires and celebrating could be seen and heard into the night.


Meskal being celebrated on the main square in Addis

bonfires were burning in many villages :-)

with Noel in a taxi through the Meskal streets
So interesting to watch..

We wrapped up the rest of last week- reflecting on the time behind and planning for the month ahead.

Another big change this past week was the weather. The rains stopped! Praise God! Beautiful blue skies with sun and lots of breeze- has been with us several days in a row now. SO SO SO NICE. It's a wonderful change and our steps feel lighter.


lots of beautiful colors...
As I've walked more and more, taking everything in, I've continued to notice and sincerely be enthralled by the ebb and flow of life here. The different pulses of sights and sounds- is almost rhythmic. Whether it's birds flying by, clouds drifting past, children playing a game of pick-up soccer, music playing, calls to worship, all seem in rhythm, an ebb and flow. Even the dogs and hyenas making noise in the night, roosters crowing at all hours (so much like Haiti), even cows walking by leisurely, have a pulse of some sort. My favorite too is seeing kids dance and shake their necks and shoulders at the slightest beat- wish I had good rhythm like that :-)

God indeed orchestrates a great and diverse symphony of life. :-)

Sometimes, I believe, we miss sights and sounds. I'm often thinking ahead or being introspective- thinking of “to do” lists, etc. I don't want to miss the great ebb and flow here. May God keep my eyes open so I can take it all in. For life is surely a gift.

I've noticed too though that not all the ebbs and flows here are pleasant. YEP...
There are rivers that smell. You often see mourning tents put up and people crying for those who have passed on. And it doesn't take long to notice the shackles of poverty and oppression. So what you do you do? Sometimes I shut my eyes. Or try to ignore the smells or walk quickly past the chaos or begging. Usually I end up stepping in it if I don't acknowledge it.

So what is my part to play in it all? Why am I here? What can I do?
What can I write, communicate, be or do here to make a difference in any one life? To let God's glory or truth be displayed in and through me?

I'm not sure yet, what my part is here. But I think what God is showing me so far is to take it all in. The good and the bad. And to see the people in the ebbs and flows. Then do or be or say or write what He tells me to. So, I will.

And what God calls me to be and how He wants me to respond should show others-Him...
His grace, mercy, love, truth, compassion, etc. And wow, that sure does take big connection to Him. May He help me.

So I will continue to dwell in the ebb and flow here and will laugh and smile at the good, the amazing, the diverse. And will pray for and be ready to take action for those in the not good...

keeping these verses in mind...

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.”
(Isaiah 43:18-19)

“The ransomed of the Lord will return...gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.” (Isaiah 51:11)

“You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the fields will clap their hands. Instead of the thorn bush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed.” (Isaiah 55:12-13)

Thank you for continuing to pray for us here!

Our Prayer Requests for this coming week:

-for continued relationship building
-for Noel's continued work for the Exodus-Hope in View families
-for my interviews with NGOs and ministries- I have four interviews this week
-for a big training on Thursday we have with volunteers
-for protection and increased awareness of spiritual warfare
-for continued favor and wisdom in collecting stories and profiles of what God is doing here

May you enjoy the wonderful October fall season!

And may God teach you and use you in the ebb and flow of where you are.

Blessings and Love from Ethiopia,
Holly with Noel




1 comment:

  1. Holly,

    Thank you so much for posting this, scripture and reflections much needed. Love you sistah!! Will be praying for you and Noel :)

    ReplyDelete