Sunday, October 30, 2011

Birthday Get-A-Way...


It's rare that Noel and I get to spend a birthday together, in recent years- continents and oceans and time zones have separated us. Not this time. We were together here in Ethiopia so we decided to celebrate by going out of Addis for a few days. We traveled to a town about an hour away. The change of scenery- the peace and quiet- was perfect- and just what we needed. It was such a change from the city.  Beautiful countryside, mountains, lakes, so pretty and refreshing!


Our Mom's birthday was the first we celebrated- on October 27. We gave thanks for a WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL, PRAYERFUL Mom. We love her! We are truly blessed to have the best parents in the world!

outside of Addis, with Noel celebrating our Mom's birthday :-)

With my Mom this summer, she's the best :-)

she even went and had injera with me as I prepared to go to Ethiopia, what a Momma :-)

best parents on the planet!- Jim and Rosie, we are blessed to have them!

As our birthday approached, we reflected on the road behind . We chuckled at some parts. We shook our heads in amazement at other things. It's crazy the places God takes you to and how He opens things up just in time. Remarkable! We're so grateful to be part of what He's doing in the world and humbled that He can still use us. It was fun to reflect and even dream about what could be ahead.

Well, the night before our birthday, we got news from the Czech Republic that was like a splash of cold water on us. We got news that Noel's friend and Czech pastor (Viktor)-(also the leader of their Czech-Ethiopia Exodus project) had been in a bad motorcycle accident and was fighting for his life. Our birthday discussion shifted after that to praying for Viktor and also on the brevity of life overall and how we really need to make the most of each day. Wow, it was sobering and a challenge to continue to give God our ALL at any cost. We're continuing to pray for Viktor's recovery- he's still in intensive care at a Czech hospital.

Viktor with Noel and some Ethiopia teammates, January 2011

Our official birthday day (October 29) went really well. We continued to pray for Viktor and give thanks for life overall. Thank you SO much for those of you who called or sent messages/emails.  We felt the global love.

A and B
Before heading back to Addis on Sunday morning, we decided to go for a final morning hike around a nearby lake. It was during this hike that God would speak to me very powerfully. As we began to make our way around the lake we were suddenly surrounded by six kids, all between the ages of probably 7 and 10 years old. They didn't beg or call us “forengie” (foreigner)- which sincerely gets old after not too long of being here. The kids, 5 guys and 1 girl, seemed fully of joy and were very playful and talkative. It was endearing really.




They took us by the hand and carefully took us up and down the big hills and cliffs around the lake- showing us where they swim and where hyenas sleep. As two boys clutched my hands, I noted their grip was iron. They really did pull me up hill after hill and loved doing it. Sweat poured from their little faces and I felt very well led and taken care of. It amazed me really- at how secure I felt being led by these little people. :-)

And that's when I heard God begin to quietly speak to me.

You see, I've been feeling some mounting stress as time has passed here, not sure of where to serve after December. And I heard God say- Holly- I'm going to show you where to go from here and it's going to be this easy. Like these little kids of mine- joyfully and skillfully leading you....my Spirit, with joy, will show you exactly where to go from here. You might have to climb a bit or slide some...but I will get you there. My hand is clutching yours, FEAR NOT.

I came back exhausted from this little climb- but exhilarated at the same time. God's hand was in mine.  That birthday message for me couldn't have sweeter than that. :-)

So onward in trust I will go holding to a very sturdy pair of hands that sculpted the mountains and carved the seas- and yet knows every hair on my head.

His Spirit and His Word continues to lead and encourage me....

...I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, “you are my servant; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.....I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you: “do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:8-10; 13

Thank you for praying for us and journeying with us!  Onward we run!


PRAYERS for this WEEK

-continue to pray for Viktor and his recovery

-for our team here- as we reunite this week to plan the coming month of activities- that God will lead and give strength

-for continued health

-for my research- as I finish up interviewing and begin putting it all together- for wisdom and continued good favor

-for the way ahead...may we run forward with courage and fear not!



2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you Holly! I loved your post today as I am also in that same position come December. Thank you for your sweet stories and so glad you and your sister had a wonderful birthday.

    hugs,
    Jess (Saling) Peoples

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way behind on reading your blog but I love this post! Praise God for his quiet presence and sweet words.

    ReplyDelete