Saturday, September 10, 2011

When Kids Play...

We had the privilege of attending two “retreats” this past week, both for kids. The first was a three-day retreat to Awasa, a town on a big lake about 5 hours south of Addis. This “teen retreat” felt more like a younger middle school camp to me, most of the kids between the ages of 11 and 14. (about 30 kids total)




I had several favorite memories from this “retreat.” Seeing them enjoy the natural hot water springs; their own beds; and a boat ride. Seeing these teens love on little kids from a local orphanage was a memory. 







And for me personally, getting to do two teachings was a highlight...one teaching was on the gift of life we've been given and how to take care of our bodies to best honor God. Then a final teaching was on the amazing free gift God offers us. I used one of my favorite dramas from youth ministry for this. :-) What a blessing to see young people excited about life, the new school year ahead and thinking about the deeper things of God.

The second retreat was just a one day trip on Friday for a BUNCH of the cutest kids I've ever seen. (about 60 kids- around 3 to 10 years old). 



Now, most people know “little people” aren't my specialty area, so I felt a bit at a loss. But from the early morning to the late afternoon- I watched in amazement kids at play and noted several things I had forgotten about these little wonders:

When Kids PLAY, they...
-run with abandon
-laugh without a real known reason
-stare in wonder at new sights
-like to dance
-like to sing
-like to play with your hair
-are creative
-don't mind falling
-are easily entertained
-talk in long spurts without taking a breath
-can eat a ton!
-can throw up easily
-can use the bathroom on you, and I think they just do so for fun too :-)
-like to play with water
-like to put things in their mouths
-like to hit each other
-love adventure
-like to climb on things
-really don't know if something is dangerous or not
-can cry easily, but then stop- and laugh (what?) :-)
-like treats
-can drink big cups of tea/bunna/chai- AMAZING
-like hand clapping games
-like bubbles, balls, games, swings, slides, animals and trees/flowers
-will mess with animals bigger than them :-)
-run when animals make big noises
-are resilient
-make you smile
-make you tired
-fall asleep in funny positions









May we all become like little children before our God...In trust, In humility. In wonder, in worship.
With pure hearts and courage to do what's bigger than us. Amen!
I learned a ton from watching these little kids at play.

To say we're tired this weekend now though- is an understatement. :-)

Noel and Kristyna had a full Saturday today amazingly- doing several home visits with kids/families they partner to empower. For me, I just rested and reflected and took a big walk. I was grateful for a breather. WHEW.

As I looked at “news” from “home”- I remembered the 9-11 tragedy from ten years ago- and as our country commemorates that this weekend- I will take take to remember as well- where I was, how I felt, and the days that followed and what God taught me.

Also, this weekend is actually a holiday weekend here in Ethiopia. Their calendar year (2003) ends Sunday. And a new year (2004) begins Monday. I'm excited to be here to be part of that celebration. It already feels festive in the air. Churches have been holding prayer meetings all week; people have been purchasing extra sheep, chickens, goats- and charcoal, etc, for big festive meat roasts. Extra injera, bunna (coffee), popcorn, etc is being readied. 


I will also be reflecting on my last E year (Sept to Sept)- what God did and what might be ahead as He leads. Amazing where He leads if you let Him!

May we enjoy the year's end and a new year beginning with our Ethiopian brothers and sisters here, Glad Noel and Kristyna are here too. :-)

Thank you for praying for us so much!!!

Our prayers for the rest of the weekend and this coming week:

-for a wonderful New Years Eve and New Years Day (Sunday and Monday)- that the coming year in Ethiopia will be one of God's provision, protection and blessing.
-a time of rest this weekend and the first part of the week after a busy retreat week
-for Noel and Kristyna as they continue with home visits this coming week and work with the families they're helping to empower in partnership with churches and families in the Czech Republic
-for my research and story collecting continuing this week with NGOs and other organizations/ministries.

Will continue to keep you posted from here.

HAPPY ETHIOPIA NEW YEAR-2004!

Blessings Always,
Holly- with Noel and Kristyna

1 comment:

  1. Holly - my conclusion from your observations is kids are kids no matter where they grow up. When in the change from childhood to adulthood do we accumulate so much hatred, pride etc that separates us as people? How does it happen?

    ReplyDelete