Sunday, September 4, 2011

Merkato, True Community, and Time in the West...Week Two...


I was trying to think of words to sum up this past week and too many came to mind. Also- I've had a hard time trying to pick just a few stories to share because there were so many. But here are a few...

On Sunday, Noel and I visited a “small group” of people who meet together twice a month for prayer, accountability, encouragement, etc. Most of the 12-15 in attendance were HIV positive. As we observed the love they had for each other, I was deeply moved. And deeply convicted. How many times in years past, had I made ridiculous excuses for not being in a small group. Or for missing a cell group meeting time. These group members had far better excuses they could make to miss- illness, rain storms, etc. But they wanted to be together, they were committed, and thus God was blessing them with true community. They even took up a collection for one of the lady's sons- so he could have school materials. They were truly sharing what they had. What an example they were to me. I spent several hours in prayer and repentance on Monday- grateful for God's big grace in my own life.

On Tuesday, we were blessed by the arrival of Noel's Czech teammate- Kristyna. This university student (who has been key in connecting their Czech denomination with the work here in Ethiopia) had just spent time in Uganda and South Sudan prior to her arrival here. So, she was very ready for some injera and bunna and it was great to hear her stories. It was also a VERY busy first week for her. 

Noel reunited with Kristyna
On Wednesday, her first full day, we went shopping in Merkato for a distribution to families that would happen later in the day. We spent hours meandering with the staff here through the crowded open-air market- said to be the largest in Africa. If you're claustrophobic at all, then I wouldn't recommend Merkato. It's very crowded with all kinds of sights, sounds and smells that feels like it could pull you under its rhythmic pulse at any given moment. People sell every thing imaginable there and there are many street kids begging. Goats, cattle, dogs, chickens, and donkeys also add to the mix and people are yelling their prices and bargains while bumping into you while you pass by. We came out of there exhausted to say the least. The distribution later that day though was well worth the bartering done in Merkato. Many families were blessed with the food staples given and it was wonderful to see the smiles. 

Merkato

Family distribution
 We left Thursday morning and just got back this afternoon from time in the western part of Ethiopia. Getting out of Addis was so nice. Not far from the city, it soon felt like we were driving through the Garden of Eden- as large expanses of open spaces led to mountains and small villages with more cattle roaming the streets and tiny shepherds keeping watch over their flocks. Amazing.





The area we went to was called Gedo- about 2-3 hours west of Addis. It is a largely rural-farming community on a high plateau. As we made our way there, the temperature began to drop. Brrrrr. We then made our way off the paved roads and deep into the countryside, then walked through some fields to a rural church. There we were blessed to spend time in training and prayer with a group of leaders (around 50-60) from ten churches who were seeking to go deeper in discipleship and evangelism. We were so touched by their testimonies and commitment to their churches. Noel, Kristyna and I also were honored to teach some different sessions as well. 





During one of the training afternoons, I had an interesting physical reaction to the cold. I started to get so cold that I began to shake and almost felt like I would pass out. I made my way to a small hut next door where ladies were inside cooking and they welcomed me in- put blankets around me- and literally pulled fire out from under the pot they were cooking on and made one at my feet to warm me. I spent hours in that smoke filled hut- being loved and cared for by these women. Their incredible care for me touched me to my core. I was so grateful.



Coming back to Addis today- we were blessed by hot showers and brewed coffee. And many stories and praises as we reflected on our time in the west. God is indeed doing much in that part of this country and I'm sure I'll blog more in the time ahead about the west.

Thank you for praying us through!

We need more prayers for this week, it's another busy one.

Tomorrow morning we leave early for a town about five hours to the south called Awasa.
We are taking about 30 teens (between the ages of 11-18) on a “retreat.” Here we will enjoy the time out of the city through Wednesday and talk about things like the importance of purity. I will post again after this retreat time with more end of the week prayer requests.

We are doing wonderfully here and are enjoying the goodness of God.

Thank you again so much for your prayers and for helping us be here! We're grateful for each of you.

More later this week.

From Addis,
Holly with Noel/Kristyna

No comments:

Post a Comment