Friday, May 25, 2018

HOW LIVING IN AFRICA HAS CHANGED ME ...

When my Mom was coming to visit me for the first time in Ethiopia this past month, I was so excited to show her my life here and how I spend my time. I was thrilled to let her meet the people I’ve invested in and who have invested in me over the last several years. 

I was also reflecting before her arrival on how living in Ethiopia for the past seven years has changed me.  I've experienced some of the best and hardest times of my life on these roads.  I'm so thankful for the chance God has given me to live and to continue to live and learn here.


I think when you think of someone living in Africa for a long time, maybe there are assumed changes you could guess at.   For example, when I thought of moving here, I assumed if I was here a long time- my skin would grow brown, my hair blond. That I’d care less about style and maybe even get older faster.

I’ve changed and continue to change in some big and surprising ways. And I have tried to list those below.  From my home culture ... a culture that's more individualistic, private, time oriented to a place like here that is group-oriented, a sharing culture, and not time focused, there were huge things I had to learn and adjust to here. And again, I've tried to share those below. :)

Before I share those, let me say that my Mom’s visit was EPIC.

I loved introducing her to classes and students, Bible study members, co-workers, family/best friends that have changed my life and enriched it. I’m so thankful she came. And for those who gave to help her get here, my heart, our hearts, are full of deep gratitude. 

Here are some of her introductions and time spent with some of my greatest people here:
 
 
 
 

 
With some ETC staff
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Thank you again so much for praying for and supporting my Mom's trip here. She can share much more in person with you or via social media.

Here are some things I noted before and after my Mom’s visit on how living in Ethiopia has changed me, is changing me...

GREATER HUMILITY- Living here has definitely humbled me. I've realized more and more how I need God to help me and teach me. I often fall down and fall short and without the balance of Jesus and partnership with Him, things go very wrong.  I have to depend on God and be led by Him. I have to talk to Him all the time, for it's Him and His character, His words, His grace, His truth, His wisdom, that I want to share. It's not about me or for me. It's all about Him and for Him. I think in American culture, self sufficiency is a marker of success. Which I've realized is dangerous. I can't rely on myself or lead myself. Dependency on God and seeking Him is not a weakness, but a strength. It's wise. And that deep relationship is available. Amazing and so grateful!

 
BIGGER LAUGHS- I've had some of biggest chuckles on this continent. Times where I've laughed so hard, I've cried for days. From shocking things to funny English mistakes in classrooms, laughter is good for the heart and soul.  So my laughs have felt big and long. And that has made me smile.




 


 
 
LONGER CRIES- I've also cried here, hard. There's been hard hard hard times and long long long days. Literally the valleys have come long and deep for myself and those I've been journeying with. From graveyards to hospital hallways, the sorrow at times has been heavy. Suffering and sorrow are part of life. And I've learned in the darkest nights and longest valleys, often are where the biggest lessons are learned.



DEEPER APPRECATION FOR THE BIG and LITTLE THINGS- I feel like I have a greater appreciation for so much more than before I came here.  For good health,  strong internet, electricity. Candles when power is off. A good cup of coffee. An umbrella. Water. A cloud. Clean clothes. A lift. A hot shower. A short line, no traffic jam. Many things, I've learned to appreciate more.  You can't take anything for granted.

 

CHANGE IN COMMUNICATION STYLE- in middle school through high school, college and after- the main way I communicated was through memorization of speeches or talks. And I was good at that. I'd spend hours mastering talks and that was my style. Definitely, there's  been a huge change for me in that here. Teaching nine to ten different classes a week, most of which are 2-3 hours in length, required me to shift my preparation. Now I speak more from an outline. And this was huge in freeing my preparation time. I've also learned- that God's Spirit is key on impact. He can back your lesson or message or change it and at the end of the day- you walk away knowing God just borrowed  your mouth. It's not for myself I speak but it's for Him and through Him. Also, I've learned to have a Plan B and Plan C, and even a Plan D and E, especially if you're relying on electricity or media of some kind. Often, power goes off or there's no light or connection and if you're too reliant on that, if you don't' have a back up plan, your time will be wasted and class cancelled.


MORE CONSERVATIVE- I think I've always been conservative in what I wear, etc. But Ethiopia is a conservative country and I've noticed I've tended to be more conservative as well. When I first came, I remember teaching in kapris or short sleeve shirts, and now I lean towards long pants and long sleeves.


 
INTOLERANCE OF HOT SUN OR TEMPERATURE CHANGE- The city I live in, Addis Ababa, tends to be very temperate. 70's and fall like temperatures year round. Not much variance. Though, that seems to be changing. When the sun is hot or the temperature changes only by a few degrees, to me it feels like a big difference. I feel like it's the desert and too hot if the temperature goes up only a little. Then, if drops only a few degrees, you can find me wrapped in a blanket or with a sweatshirt on. 

Walking wrapped in big blankets, especially in rainy season, is common

MORE VIGILENT- I'm definitely more vigilent (keeping aware) as I live here.  If you're not careful, you can step in something or literally fall into a hole on the road. If you're not aware on taxis or on the street, your bag can be unzipped and your mobile or money taken. Also, I've learned with weather- if it looks like rain, you don't have to run. It's when people run, then you run. They know best when to take cover.  It's a bartering culture, so you have to keep vigilant on being overcharged because you're a foreigner. Also, I've learned to always wear shoes in your house and keep aware of what may be crawling across your floor. And, during exams, you have to be strict on cheating. It's a group and sharing culture, so if you're not watching, answers will be shared.

I've learned God helps watch over us as we go along, more than we ever know. And I'm grateful.

 
MORE CONFIDENT AND SKILLED BUG SMASHER- I think on a daily basis, I smash a million bugs. All sizes. This wasn't the case when I came. I'd scream. Or I'd ask someone to get the bug or lizard out of my place.   I think my common first  response that I noticed come out of my mouth was a gasp... and words like... what is that? or, oh my gosh, it's a monster. Ha ha. I aim now with a towel and smack. Or maximize the shoe squash. Or I do it bare handed. Which- is a huge change.
 
FOCUSED FITNESS- My greatest friend here is a personal gym trainer, and so I'm actually in better shape than before I moved here. I became a personal trainer myself through YWAM a few years ago, so I feel in good health, the best I've ever been in and for that I'm thankful.  I really want to be smart as I get older with the house (body) God has given me to live in. And if God wants me to climb a mountain, I want to be in shape enough to do that. And we do climb mountains here, by the way. :-)

 
 
LIGHTER SKIN, DARKER HAIR and MORE FASHIONABLE- probably my first few years here- my skin definitely got very dark and my hair much blonder. But the past few years- that has shifted. I think this is surprising to notice. My skin is lighter and my hair darker. My students have advised me also, which is funny. I think my growing intolerance for super hot sun has led to the lighter skin. People here walk with umbrellas when it's too sunny out. Which made me shocked when I first saw this. Now, I understand. I also think I'm more fashionable, thanks to the college students I work with. My students are cool and classy and fashionable and trendy. And to be relevant and respected- my style has gone their direction. They keep me young. The calendar does as well, being seven years behind the rest of the world.  Ha ha. And good fitness also helps. I'm thankful for that surprised impact of life here. 

One other funny note, I remember in US when I would teach or give a talk, I'd often wear tall shoes. It made me feel more commanding and that I had greater stature. Now, there's no way I'd wear tall shoes. I'm already taller than most, Ethiopians are generally small in stature. And if I wore tall shoes, I'd be a giant, ha ha. 

Again, my students are very fashionable and beautiful. They free give advice, even if you don't ask for it,  Ha ha.

 
BAG NECESSITIES- WHAT TO ALWAYS HAVE WITH ME- There are some key things I carry with me here. I'll just note what I think is unique for here: hand sanitizer, sunglasses, charger with a phone, umbrella or scarf, tissue (called soft), pepto (stomach medicine). :-) I never leave home without these things here.

BETTER AT EXPERIENCING and EXPECTING EXTREMES- Extremes happen here. For example, when my Mom was visiting and I was celebrating her here, I knew one of my students was literally watching her Mom suffer and later her Mom did pass away. Life here has big extremes, big highs and big lows. And I think I've learned to better put both in perspective and realize life has extremes and only God can see us through.  Again, some very big highs and life moments... mountaintops... I've enjoyed here. Also... the other extreme... very very low valleys. But I've learned all is part of life and who you're journeying in and putting your trust in makes a difference. We have a good Shepherd ready to lead us through.

Have passed through many extremes with these three

Seeing students graduate, big mountain top
 
DESENSITIZED to TRAFFIC CHAOS - this actually became apparent when my Mom visited. She sat in a taxi and literally screamed as we went along - at what looks like mass chaos- as people, animals, and cars all run together in the streets here. For me, I easily run through the middle of this with ease. And this I guess is now my normal. ha ha


MORE AWARE OF SATAN and his schemes- we do have an enemy. And he lurks and wants to discourage us, isolate us, distract us and bind us. I've become more aware of him and his tactics here. And have to keep my guard up.

NEW FAVORITES- I LOVE the many wonderful people here, as noted above. Also, the Ethiopian cultural food and coffee- big WOW. And oh my goodness on avocado and banana juice. Thick and too much yum. Not sure how I ever got by without these favorites.

a coffee macchiato, CLASSIC
 
 
 
GREATER AWARENESS of the Brevity of Life
Life is but a breath and it's a gift. I need to enjoy, we all do. The goodness of God, the grace, and the lives He's blessed us with and the people. We cant waste moments.  And we have to share about Jesus with others- who He is and how He connects us to God. He changes everything about everything.

CONTINUED LEARNER
I have so much to learn and that I continue to learn here. In class preparations, I'm sharpened. In class discussions, prayer, and just living life in general with some of the wisest people in the world, I learn. Some of the biggest life's lessons I've learned and continue to learn here. And I'm grateful. For God is about shaping our character and teaching us about Himself.  And we've never arrived.  May I continue to be a good learner.

Here are a few of my greatest examples, coaches, and friends I learn from...

ETC staff


  
  
And I'm SO Grateful for my home USA tribe, the Garretts. My Dad, Mom, and sister-Noel, no words for their wisdom and examples in my life. They are a huge BLESSING and I'm so grateful for them!
 
 
 
I've also realized all the more that the KEY for me to not just survive here but thrive...
is a continued and intentional focus on: JESUS!

I can't be here without Him... my Savior, my Lord, my great High Priest, my Shepherd.
 
HE MUST INCREASE, I must decrease. (John 3:30)

WHEN I AM WEAK, HE IS STRONG (2 Corinthians 12:9)

and there's NO GREATER LOVE, than to lay down your life for others. As Jesus gave us this example. (John 15:13)

It's an honor for me to live and serve here!
I love these fields.

Thank you for praying for me and my family as I continue here and know I'm praying for you as well!

As each of us take moments to reflect on how serving in a certain place has changed us, for good or bad, may God be honored in the fields He places us in and may we grow to be like Him as we follow Him faithfully.

Onward !

PRAYER REQUESTS

-This week was final exams at ETC. Please pray for a strong finish for the semester for students.
Four classes for me finalized this past week and now it's time to grade. Graduation is June 2.

-Pray for Hope College, as we also go into final weeks of school, that God will let it be a good end to the semester.  Classes will go through June and graduation is July 7.

-I plan to come home for a few weeks in mid to late July, and would love to talk to you by phone or meet in person. Before that, please pray for a good rainy season schedule that will begin- as final school trips, language learning and other things I can add in happens. Also, I will need to do some extra fundraising while home for my return ticket to Ethiopia, etc. Please be in prayer for me on that and if you'd like to give, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again for praying! Blessings to each of you as you go into your summer season. I'm grateful for you and for your continued prayers and support for me here.

With Love from Ethiopia...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment