Sunday, December 13, 2015

THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR... A Christmas Reflection

One week from today I will get to travel home for the Christmas holiday.

For me, living and working in Ethiopia, in 70 degree weather and largely sunny and blue skies without much variance, it’s exciting to think about that soon it will feel more like Christmas. (Maybe- if the weather changes in Ohio….it’s warm there now). This is the only decoration I have up now. ...
 
 
So to put on a coat, see Christmas lights and Christmas trees, to hear Christmas music in stores, to drink hot chocolate, these things “feel” like Christmas time.
 
Many say Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year and in so many ways, I have to agree.

People seem more generous as they shop for perfect gifts for friends and family.

And the reality of the greatest gift ever given seems more largely in focus- as manger scenes adorn the front lawns of people’s homes and JESUS is the theme of all major plays and musical productions at this time.
 


What is the most wonderful time of the year for you? Is it Christmas?

Why do people celebrate Christmas or enjoy it?

Is it the presents? The time off work? Or just the holiday spirit?

 
May we not forget the biggest reason we have to celebrate…

Our God came here. Amazing!!!

Every time I see a donkey in my area, I’m incredulous to think that the God of the universe sat on one of those. That He humbled himself and entered His own creation, His own story, so a redeemer, a Savior, could be known, could be embraced.

Jesus came and walked our streets, experienced and battled the elements, faced temptation, and felt deep in Him the war that rages between flesh and spirit.

He learned obedience and experienced grief, rejection, and sacrifice.  

He also knew joy and laughter and friendship. He loved well and served well.
 
His life, though ending before his 35th birthday, changed everything for all of us!
 
He gave all of Himself so we can live and have our sin paid for! 

May we take time in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, to remember the amazing fact… that a Savior was born and still lives to give us life! 
 
He is our Merciful High Priest and soon coming King! This is the reason we have to celebrate.
 
And the greatest gift we can give to someone else- is the news of Him!

Luke 2:10-11
Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord…

May we celebrate Jesus during this most wonderful time of the year and every day of our lives!

Remembering Him today and always!

Blessed Christmas and holiday season to each of you!

Prayer Requests… Please Pray….

-for this week- As I give final exams for my Bible theology students- that the students will finish well- and will take all they learned in all their classes and continue to follow God’s plan for their lives

-for my Hope College students- as I give mid-term exams this week and listen to speeches, that God will bless and keep these students in Him

-for a new business visa and work permit that I need to push through the Ethiopian Embassy while I’m home- that God will give speed and favor on that

-for a training this Thursday I’m giving for Hope fellowship students who are small group leaders, that God will bless this time

-for my travel stateside in one week, for safety in travel

-for the holidays at home with my family- that God will bless our time together

-for my sister, now stateside, as she is serves as the Mission Director at our home church in interim. That God will bless this season for her and our church.

-for my parents, that we can enjoy the holiday with them, and for continued health and joy in all they do
 
-for my way ahead in Ethiopia in the new year, that He will help me make these days the greatest for Him

Thanks so much for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Always awesome blog.

    Merry Christmas and Happy new year. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete