Thursday, August 1, 2013

A MACCHIATO CUP

Having lived in Ethiopia for almost two years now, I definitely have a favorite type of coffee.  In this land where coffee was founded, there are many choices. But for me, my favorite is called a macchiato- it’s a mix of coffee and milk and wow, I love it!


When I was first given one here back in 2008, I quickly downed it and needed another. There’s a culture here of SIPPING coffee or tea SLOWLY and talking with others for LONG hours about life, family, village and world news.  I still usually need at least two macchiatos.  I'm used to my BIG SIZE cups of coffee, ha ha.


And maybe I’ve been here too long, but I also have a favorite kind of cup that a macchiato is served in.  The best macchiato to me is served in a simple clear glass.  For me, I don’t like the fancy or tourist type cups.  I like to see what’s on the inside.


A few days ago, I was smiling at my second macchiato when it came out in my favorite clear cup- and this got me thinking about life overall.

Our bodies, the clay-mud tents that hold our lives and spirits- come in different shapes, sizes, colors.  Does my body, like a clear macchiato glass, clearly reflect what is inside of me?  And if so- what do people see?

I think our bodies are fascinating overall.  But I’m also well aware as I’m now getting older, that my body is definitely under the effects of what happened in the Garden of Eden long ago.  Things have started to fall apart. Bones deteriorate. Hair grays ....what? Metabolism slows.  Is that a wrinkle???  It can be downright depressing some days.

How can I best keep my body in good health? Right exercise, a good diet, good sleep, and plenty of water are all important.  But I also have learned that keeping my life pure and clean is also very important- so what’s inside of me can be seen and when that content is seen- it honors God. 

We all have brokenness, sin, scars in our lives.  But in the heart of every believer should be the mark of a cross and the presence of a Savior that covers ALL and there’s a life and storyline that has been redeemed. This is what the world needs to see!!! Scars can be testimonies of grace. A life transformed and transforming is the greatest advertisement of God’s grace and love to the world and this gives great hope!

Our bodies often need repair. Our minds- our hearts- checked.  Is our cup-our life- CLEAN?  Is the content of our lives clean?

When people see me or you, do they see irritation, fatigue, greed, shallowness, selfishness, pride, emptiness… or do they see a Savior and someone loved and accepted by God- and extending that love horizontally to others?

We must allow God to pour into our lives daily- thru His Word and prayer and fellowship. He has wisdom, encouragement, direction, peace, joy, hope to give. God can purify our inside.  And He desires us to be holy and set apart for Him.

1 Peter 1:16
Be holy because I am holy

2 Corinthians 7:1
Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

1 John 3:3
All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

May I not desire a fancy cup, an outside exterior, to hold my life.  May my exterior not be fake or one that hides the presence of a Savior that the world needs to see and meet.  Jesus warned about this…

Matthew 23:25-26
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

May our lives honor and reflect our God always.  I’ve been reflecting on these verses this past week...

Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

John 15:4, 14-16
Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.

Matthew 5:16
…let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

2 Corinthians 5:20
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us….

Psalm 119:11
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

2 Corinthians 4:7-12
 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.  We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.   We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.  For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.   So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

Philippians 4:8
…whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

May God Help Us on the Journey!

Onward with You!!!

Prayer Requests
-Please pray for my safe travel home this Sunday (August 4) and a good month of rest with my family in the US of A
-Please pray for funds I will need to raise to come back to Ethiopia in September, I will need one time support for airfare and supplies, and new or continued monthly support (if you'd like to join my prayer or financial team- please email me at: a.in.africa@gmail.com)
-Please pray for our students and staff on break now, that it’s restful and good for them
-Please pray for my book, I’m still continuing to write
-Please pray for God’s best plan for my way ahead, that I'm obedient and effective wherever He leads me

No comments:

Post a Comment