Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Short Fuse

One thing I've grown to love and appreciate about Africa is candles. Electricity is a huge luxury most of the world does not enjoy. Those who have it here realize its not reliable. At any given time and at any given location, it can be lights out. 


God taught me something recently during one of these "lights out" evenings.

Like I've share recently- my time of taking a break from classes- has quickly diminished. In a few short weeks- it looks like school will start early and I will be teaching again.

Uh oh. I say that because I've noticed in myself a very "short fuse." My aggitation has been high and very quickly things that would normally make me chuckle or things I could usually just shrug off or ignore- it's not the case these days. 

It's a critical cultural adjustment time. I remember learning that well in Haiti. There comes a point when you're living cross culturally when the "honeymoon" phase ends and everything becomes irritating. Many field workers often go home at this point, for good. But it's actually part of acclimating. If you can push through this time, you actually can begin to really deeply culturize- if that's a word. :-)

One even just before dark, the power went out. I went looking for my candles- and noticed most of them were little, and what was up with the wicks being so small? I couldn't find any candles that seemed to have any wicks left that I could use to burn for light.


Then I found one and broke it apart and pulled a little and I realized (suburb girl that I am)- that there was PLENTY of wick left in the candles. You just had to break it apart and pull it the right way and you could still have something to light. 


And that's when God spoke to me. Holly- you might feel like you're at the end of your rope, your fuse is too short, and you have no energy, no patience left. But remember- at the core of you is ME. I might have to break you a little and stretch you a little to get more to the core, but there's more you have to give, you still have light to shine. 

And then He pointed me to these verses over the next few days:

Isaiah 40:28-31
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden light.

Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Philippians 4:13
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Romans 12:11-12
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

2 Corinthian 9:10-11
Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion...

2 Corinthians 4:7-9; 16-18
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed....

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

2 Corinthians 12:9
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

So, if you've just started something and you're already tired. Or you've been "at" something for awhile and you feel like if you don't get a break or a breather soon...you're going to drop something or cave in...God might be just strengthening your core. If He's allowing it to continue, you can trust Him to give you energy, patience, love, even joy- when you're OUT. He can help your light shine.

Matthew 5:14-16
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

  
May God break us and stretch as needed- so we can be light wherever God needs us and for how long is needed.

Onward we run...

Praises
-Ethiopia just celebrated a new year yesterday, 2005 began.  It was a big E year for me. I praise God for his sustaining power and all He has taught me living here. I'm thankful for the friendships and relationships formed and strengthened and new ones made. I'm humbled to have been here to invest in the lives of students.

Prayer Requests
-For the new year, 2005- for Ethiopia as a country- that new leadership will arise and this will be the year of the Lord's favor and blessing for this country.
-For my new personal and professional goals for the new E year, that God will help me maximize my time remaining.
-That as I begin a new semester- that God will give me favor with students and staff and that He will use me in whatever way He wants to.
-That God will help me have time to write my book.
-For the way ahead, I do feel like I am to come out of Ethiopia soon, that God will open that up as He wills.
-I'm still raising money for airfare costs when I do come home, please pray for that and if God lays it on your heart to give to that, let me know.
-Many dear brothers and sisters still needing breakthroughs with employment, family, finances, etc.

Thank you for being on the journey with me! May we trust Him as we run on.

Blessings and Happy New Year from Ethiopia!
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment