Monday, June 3, 2024

ID-ed... (Identified)!

The season is changing. "Summer" is arriving for most. This means warmer temperatures, different clothes, turning on of the AC. You switch from hot coffee to iced coffee.  Change is inevitable as seasons come and go.  

Here in Ethiopia, at EvaSUE, we have shifted from our school year of programming and wrapping that up, and we are now moving into our rainy season and national events.  We have maybe two weeks more of steamy hot May weather with scorching sun before the cool rains move in.  We are ready for that change.

As we have been shifting gears in programming focus, it has had me thinking about my ID- my identity.  Who am I?  What has God taught me in the past school year? Who am I becoming? What will I be in the time ahead?  Who or what defines me? What should?  When cleaning out a closet just this morning, I came across several "IDs" of the past months here.


I think in the past years globally- there has been an identity crisis for most.  What does it mean to be a citizen of your own country? What defines that? What does it mean to be an American? An Ethiopian? A Christian? A member of God's family and of His kingdom?  There are all kinds of voices speaking and sides to take who are arguing about what those should be and what that identity should stand for.

I think God sometimes allows things to shake and even the way to get dark because it causes an ID check.  Who or what really defines us as His people?  What is foundational in our lives? Who do we allow to tell us who we should be or what our lives should look like now?

God reminds us... the Author is Him!  

Here in Ethiopia, in taxis, many times your "ID" will come up. The driver will ask ..."Where are you from?" Are you married? Do you have kids?"  "How old are you?"  Most of these questions make me irritated.    I don't want to debate or share private information.  I don't like to comment because my answers lead to more questions.  I don't want to talk politics.  I don't want to think about my calendar age or that I don't have a husband, etc.  "But are these "REALLY" my actual ID? 

We often get labeled by culture or people. Married. Single. Old. Young. Satan likes to whisper labels to us as well. Unqualified. Too old. Too young. Alone. Forgotten. Rejected, etc.

We can't allow what people say or what Satan whispers to label us!  Satan is a liar! 

God is the One who gave us our true identity.  He defines us! He is the Author and Finisher of our lives. He designed us. He knows why He made us and why we still have breath.  He has a plan.  And we can trust Him! We must listen to Him and what He says about our ID...

If anyone is in Christ, the old is gone, the new has come.. 
2 Corinthians 5:17

I have been crucified with Christ and yet I live...
Galatians 2:20

I have called you by name, you are mine
Isaiah 43: 1-3

You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for my own...
 1 Peter 2:9

We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works...
Ephesians 2:20

But to all who received Him, He gave the right to become children of God
John 1:12

For your Maker is your Husband, the Lord of Hosts
Isaiah 54:5

The reality is, thanks to Jesus, I'm young in eternity.  I have been chosen.  I'm not alone! My past doesn't define me! I'm forgiven! Free! Loved!  Outwardly I'm wasting away, but inwardly I'm being renewed (2 Corinthians 4:16). The bridegroom is coming for me.  (John 14: 1-4)!  Lelelelelelele (they'd say here in Ethiopia)!  PLT- my Dad would say!  

If your ID has gotten lost or forgotten... let God remind you of who He says you are!  Don't let labels become who you are. Don't let Satan lie to you about your ID.

In all seasons of life, we are IDENTIFIED in Jesus!  May we live this ID and walk in the confidence of who He says we are!

May we give God our best in the new season ahead! He can help us, renew us, refresh us, and lead us to become what He made us to! May we live Him and breathe Him and share Him!

Praises

-for our EvaSUE Student Ministry Team Retreat and planning time (May 10-12)

Our EvaSUE Student Ministry team and families at our Team Retreat

-for our EvaSUE National Staff Meeting (May 20-25), 115 of us gathered for reflection, prayer and planning for our national events. I'm so humbled to be part of this amazing team!

EvaSUE Staff / Family at our National Staff Meeting

-for Jim Garrett, the world's best Dad. Happy Fathers Day to him on June 16!  He's the very best! We love him so much!!!

the handsome and charming Jim Garrett, world's best dad!

Prayer Requests

-planning for EvaSUE's next big national event, the National Mission Summit (July 8-13)- for God to speak

-for EvaSUE's change of leadership July 1 ... Robel to Eyosiyas

Robel interviewing the incoming General Secretary- Eyosiyas 
and his wife at our National Staff Meeting

-for impact to the ends of the earth for the kingdom...that God will speak here and push us up and out as His people, fully living our identity!

If you'd like to join my prayer team or monthly support team or make a one time donation, you can do so through this link:  https://www.globaloutreach.org/giving/missionary-details/holly-garrett

Thank you to those who already faithfully give and pray! Your partnership here is impacting!  I'm grateful for each of you!

Blessed month of June and start to the summer season to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment