Tuesday, October 26, 2021

FACING GIANTS...

Have you ever faced a giant?

Here in Ethiopia... there are some pretty big things...

...the snake found recently by my door...

a large snake killed by our guards and hung on a tree ... 

...the birds I can see sitting on a nearby fence each morning or on nearby buildings... they are LARGE.. and I think could possibly pick up a small child...




..the cats lurking just outside...



Just kidding. Those are no where near me, Thank God! Ha ha

...the buildings behind our school compound seem to be growing bigger and taller - maybe they will soon swallow us all...


There are big things here for sure...

But what about a giant thing? Have you ever faced one of those?  Or maybe you're looking at one now in your life?

Maybe something has come into your life or the life of someone you love and it's big, WAY TOO BIG, and you're not sure what to do...  it's dangerous and beyond your ability to conquer or fix....

Maybe the giant just arrived. Or maybe it's been around for some time. But it's not going away and maybe it's getting stronger. And you're tired of it lingering and messing with your peace, your joy, your family, your life. 

Maybe it's a bill or debt. Maybe it's a diagnosis or illness. Maybe it's a broken relationship. Maybe it's a bad job. Maybe it's a past mistake.  

There are all kinds of giants ...

What do you do when a giant comes?

Covid 19 was a giant and is a giant no one expected. It came and surprised us. Many people laughed or disregarded it. It seemed silly and overrated or politicized ... only for many to realize later it had and can have a lethal punch. Sometimes it strikes fast- taking loved ones and friends and family and neighbors quickly. Sometimes it hits slowly and repeatedly and no medicine or treatment plan seems to help. What a weird giant.

It's still a giant walking around and it's not welcomed by anyone.  We're tired of and want it to go away for good.

Other giants are also still around us all ... 

Temptation. Sin. Fear of the past. Fear of the future. Insecurity. Doubt. Depression...

What giants have you faced? Are you facing?

How did you react to the giants that arrived?

Did you battle well? Are you battling well?  

Giants of sickness and death are so so hard. Mantles of despair and addiction and depression are so heavy. 

Satan and Sin whispers for us to give up, to give in. To go a wrong way.  To settle. To blame God.

You may feel the giant is TOO big. The debt is TOO great. The storm is TOO strong. The diagnosis is TOO overwhelming. The wait is TOO long. The temptation is TOO enticing. The way forward is TOO blocked...

What does God want us to remember and do when we face giants?  

How can we persevere and overcome them?

Can we really say to the giants in our lives... "How dare you mess with me, my family, my life, and my God?!!!"..


I've seen giants and I'm seeing giants in the lives of those I care about.

Giant problems. Giant medical issues. Giant financial stress. Giant despair. Giant depression. Giant fighting. Giant division.  

Too many giants!!!

But what I've been remembering with the help of God's Spirit and His Word is that...

WE HAVE A WAY BIGGER GOD! 

He has giant promises! We don't have to be afraid and we can fight and stand and persevere with God's help!!!!!

We can pick up a smooth small stone of faith, load our sling, and aim it in prayer at what we face... 

And God will tell us when to throw it and it will hit the mark... right in the head of the giant we face... in His time and in His way and in His plan.... and then...

The giant will fall! The walls will come down! The chains will break! The door will open! And the rescue will come!!!!!!

We can hold to these verses...

God says...The battle belongs to me... (2 Chronicles 20:15)

Stand still and see my deliverance, I will fight for you ... (Exodus 14:13)

Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world.... (1 John 4:4)

No weapon formed against you shall prosper... (Isaiah 54:17)

Do not fear. When you pass through the waters I will be with you, they will not overflow you, and when you pass through the fire, you will not be burned... (Isaiah 43: 1-2)

Those with us are greater than those with them! ... (2 Kings 6:16)

May we face the giants in our lives with courage and never give up!

If you're facing a giant or more than one right now... God wants you to know and remember, He's with you! He can help you fight and win! It's not over until He says!

Praying on in trust with You!!!!

Praises/Prayer Requests

-Please pray for the giants around me and in the lives of those I care about... may we fight and win and never be afraid!  People watch how we fight and we even how we suffer.  May God give us His words, His actions, His ability to persevere!

-I praise God for the ETC class I've had this fall season so far. It's been a huge blessing to help equip and encourage these church leaders to go into all the world with the good news of Jesus! Please keep these dear brothers and sisters in prayer!

Class this past week with Abera- A Missionary- sharing His Testimony

-Please pray for me as I consider several different work and service opportunities- in the time ahead here in Ethiopia and ahead in 2022...that God will place me where He can best use me.

-I praise God for my family ! They are huge examples for me and I'm so thankful for them.  This week... is a big birthday week in our family. Please join me in wishing a Happy Birthday on Wednesday (10-27) to the amazing Rosie Garrett, my Mom.  She's a blessing to us all and we love her so much!  She's a prayer warrior  and her online devotions and her prayers and her example... there are no words for how much she inspires me and so many! Happy Birthday Mom! We love you so much!  Also a very Happy Birthday to my sister, Noel, on Friday (10-29).  Her obedience to God and years of loving God and loving people... have greatly impacted me and us all! Happy Birthday B! We will be celebrating both of these amazing ladies here in Ethiopia :-) 


My Mom and Noel (B)- Happy Birthday to these amazing ladies this week!

Also a shout out to our Dad and family leader- the amazing Jim Garrett. He's a hero of faith ...A giant for God!  No words also for how much we are blessed by him! And we can't forget- Pastor Mike Martin- Noel's husband. What an amazing giant of faith too who was added to our family. We thank God for him!

our Dad and Mom- love these two!

Mike and my Dad... heroes of faith 

-Please continue to pray good health for my family and protection , provision, as they serve and love God and people. 

-Please pray for the bad giants here of Covid, fighting, etc., that God will help us slay those and pray for those battling.  Ethiopia still needs peace and the government needs wisdom. 

What giants are you facing? How can I pray for you? Please let me know!

May we move forward in the victory God has for us!

Slay those giants in and with the power of God!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly it's me Alemtsehay, Happy Birth Day for Your MOM! & Your Sister too and thanks to God for your blessed family. Please pray for me and my family too!

    ReplyDelete